Can C4D's Muscle System Do This?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2018
Can C4D's Muscle System Do This?

I've seen the muscle functions in C4D in the UI, but never tried them myself.

This is a commercial muscle-simulation plugin for Maya:

https://zivadynamics.com/ziva-vfx

Here is an addon for Blender that also simulates muscle and tissue:

How advanced is C4D's muscle system in comparison? Can it do similar things?

05 May 2018
Apart from the micro controller bit, and a slightly better workflow for creating the muscles and driving them, yes. I believe it can do it.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Skeebertus: I've seen the muscle functions in C4D in the UI, but never tried them myself........How advanced is C4D's muscle system in comparison? Can it do similar things?

If you have C4D, consider trying them yourself Mate.
Although I dont use C4D native rigs myself , due to the lack of a viable human IK retargeting and Auto lipsynch solution,
I think the C4D muscle system is actually quite good by todays standards.

4 Weeks Ago
A couple years back I went right into the muscle system in some depth. It works similar to what I see there but it has a few draw backs such as the muscles do not self collide. Rather than having Flexors and Extensors which is the anatomical way muscles work in a antagonistic way C4D muscles have relaxed , compressed and extended. It can be hard and confusing at times when to use which stage to use at times. You cannot add segments once you have set its length and shape as the anchor will not auto update to the extra segments and it will deform bad. This also effect how the muscle works with dynamics. If you have a low segment count the muscle acts like jelly that bulges out the wires of a cage.

Making flat muscles as like the group of the pectoralis major three portions is also not as easy as shown in that video as your need to create multiple anchors but because the geometry is a cylinder like shape in C4D your not get the right topology to form such a shape so your have to make multiple muscles instead, this takes a long time to do as you need to create each muscle with their own origin and insertion anchors while non of the three sections collide to bunch up together as one contracting form.

Id say you can get nice results but you have to work hard to get them, and your not get very predictable results easy. For this reason its faster to use jiggle deformer with psd morphs.

Dan

Last edited by Rectro : 4 Weeks Ago at 11:08 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
Like the Blender Add on yes.

But the Ziva system is basically the Weta tissue system isn't it? And that is a complete different monster of simlulation power.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ceen: Like the Blender Add on yes.

But the Ziva system is basically the Weta tissue system isn't it? And that is a complete different monster of simlulation power.

Blender has muscle? I think Maxon needs to update their app as Blender seems to be on a run.

Dan

reply share thread