Finally starting with Silo 3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2015
Finally starting with Silo 3D

I'm finally starting to use Silo 3D for character modelling. For my first project I'm using the profile of actress Sarah Shahi as a guide. It's good to know this program has a mirroring feature, otherwise I'd have give up already. But I'm thinking of doing some fine tweaking in Sculptriss after I've made enough progress.

03 March 2015
i saw thi smethod in several form on youtube.. it might works..

in my opinion, for greater result one might learn to create the human head... with eye, nose, lips and details

and a low resolution head can be adjusted better to match to a exist character..

example nose can be tweaked , scaling smaller, giving a light curve, a slope and it change from man to woman.. same head..
mouth , cheek also can be adjusted vith very quick and great results..

unfortunately there are very few tutorial about building head from scratch... tough this gives the best result..

anthonys book describe a way.. when you buy the book you can download the associated models, and that book lead you trough on the modeling from one single cube..

on the net you also can find some..

heres one from 3ds max

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/12/...9e40dd-7fcb.htm

and many other.. its no matter what program is it.. the polygonmodeling work with all same way..

03 March 2015
i tried to find some o fmy work to showing it better..
i using two monitor, left the modeling, right the ref pictures..

you cant always find exact front and profile picture..
great help ability to drawing

i asked for many pictures, and turning head in similar positions, squeezed a head to match.. making the most out of a subd level.. this picture is not the initial..

the initial was 2 level lower a very low poly model..
when i get to the ""max"" i could achieve on one level, i added more and made the wrinkles and bumps..

from here all need is the real fine details in 3dcoat or zbrush..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matchhead.jpg (81.9 KB, 14 views)

03 March 2015
I actually have modelled a head from scratch. But now that I'm trying to do animation and 3D printing I need to learn to avoid trigons. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust them now around the pinching areas. Usually I'd cut in another vertex or an edge but this program takes some getting used to.

03 March 2015
So is it better to start building the polygons around the eyes and mouth first and then the nose and outwards? When I'm drawing I usually start with the eyes, but I've got a whole bust to start with now.

03 March 2015
Avoiding trigons is difficult while I try to get used to modelling in Silo 3D. Even with the official guide book I don't understand the techniques in cutting and merging to fix it. There's also some crashing problems that have forced me to constantly save my progress.

But getting right into it, I've had to delve more into facial topology to understand how I'd cut the lines to form specific areas. Right now I'm just prepping this model for 3D printing, but figuring out how to quickly form the areas of the mouth and eyes have been challenging. I'm not sure if Silo's generic head bust is even divided properly. I'm initially reluctant to keep using subdivision mode because, like NURBS, it can be deceptive on where the edges and points are - compared to polygonal mode.

I thought I could just split loop the areas for mouth and eyes but the trigons remain a challenge. Cutting more lines outward are a lot easier when you just start off with your own cube.

Fortunately, the displacement brush system seems to work just like Sculptris, so I don't have to export my file out for its fine detailing.

03 March 2015
Coloring Polygons?

Is it possible to change the colour of a group of polygons while modelling? It would be a big help to isolate and create new loops if we could do that.

The reason is that I want to keep track of the number of polygons I have for certain facial features. But when I start with the custom base bust it's difficult to judge which areas to work within.

Update: nevermind. I found out how to use the material editor for that.

Last edited by BernieB : 03 March 2015 at 06:27 AM.

03 March 2015
bernie

yes, you can build only of quads

you need to learn the technic, how you split a mesh where eyes, the mouth... removing quads for the ear

and always, using the possible least quad

mightbe this tutorial explain better.. start with one single cube.. at start dont focus on details, only globally..

http://www.arildwiro.com/tutorials/.../head/head.html

when you try to model an eye, an ear a mouth nose, that eventually almost impossible to merge, because sure youll use different number of quads on their perimeter..

i was struggling also how a shape comes true from one cube..
but this is the only efficient way..

start over and over the head tutorial from one cube,, after a couple of succesful make your eye, your hand will remember for the steps..

then,after you base head is ready, then you make the ref pictures, and start to adjust your mesh..

next you can make your base head to male-female..

03 March 2015
and a few more you can find with google

http://www.anghelescu.net/tutorials...rowe_page3.html

https://thevaultanimation.wordpress...#jp-carousel-36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac4qV2uIF3Q

a great tut for the ear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhpk6Bl7Q9g

also, beside computer, drawing by hand increase the chance for succesful modeling..

03 March 2015
Thanks, dawg. I've done box modelling before. I'm trying to adjust Silo's bust to be adjustable for my purposes. So far it looks better to just start over with a box.

04 April 2015
I've resumed working on this project again and it's still been challenging to stick to quads. I need to add more edge loops if I'm going to refine the eyes more and I think I can try out the brushes next. The hair will certainly be a fun experiment. I have to use other photo references now because the eyebrows, cheeks, and jawline can't be seen well.

reply share thread