Modelers of the future?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  08 August 2002
Modelers of the future?

Howdy all, I'm kinda new to CG stuff but went to school for Autocad and realy enjoyed the 3D modeling side of industrial/Architectural design, so I joined this forum to learn more about using the Apps. represented here. I saw this "Interactive Surface Design" video of Pro-Engineer, and thought that this would be a very cool tool to have in modelers in general (Maya, Lightwave, 3D Max etc..) If you have fast connection you might check it out here- (Real Player Req.)

http://www.ptc.com/products/proe/index.htm

Click the "PTC USER TUTORIAL" At very bottom left of page.

My question is does anyone think that this kind of technology would be usefully implemented into character modeling? Being able to manipulate a character's "profile" like that in real time seems like it could be amazing, especially if it could work on lowpoly mesh's. Seeing that technology "trickles down" I just thought some might find this interesting, and also would like to know what your thoughts are about the future of modelers in general. If you could realize and implement some futuristic modeling techniques into your modeler of choice, What would it behave like and do? One of my thoughts is being able to draw and sculpt in 3D with your hands in some sort of "BOX" (Maybe Holographic or something) and see your work respond intuitively. What are your "Imaginings" on this? Thanks in advance for your input, Imagination is a powerful tool-Use it!

Last edited by Kula : 08 August 2002 at 09:29 AM.

share thread