Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Kyle Romano

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2008
Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Kyle Romano

Kyle Romano is entered in the "Steampunk Myths and Legends" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Concept / pre-visualization: Humbaba Profile

12 December 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Sketching Humbaba

It's been a while since I've done much sketching so I'll be doing a lot for this phase until I finally stumble on a design I like.

My topic choice is of the Epic of Gilgamesh. In particular I was hoping to depict the battle between Gilgamesh and the demon Humbaba in the Cedar Forest. However, given I missed half the image competition time already due to school I'm going to focus my attention on Humbaba instead.

12 December 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Sketching Humbaba 02

More sketches. It's pretty messy, I know. I'm not sure how I wanted to depict him, and wound up sketching over the same spot with about 3 different ideas. Humbaba as a biped-mech, in humanoid form, as a centaur-like machine.

12 December 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Sketching Humbaba 03

Third page of sketches.

12 December 2008
Work In Progress: Initial Polysculpt

Going for a recognizable Lion shape before I start mucking about mechanizing it. The head is about the only piece I have a clear image of how I want it to look.

I really need to harden up the jaw though, reference images I used have it looking too much like a smile.

12 December 2008
Work In Progress: Fleshing it out

I hid the jaw because it was really bothering me in its incomplete state.

Humbaba is described as a demon that would spit fire, so I'm considering simply leaving the jaw off and placing some kind of cannon in its place that would ooze fire/napalm/lava/whathaveyou.

12 December 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Humbaba Profile

Concept for the hands and a profile of the body.

01 January 2009
Obviously I lost inspiration in the project and having started a new job I just never had time to finish. I wound up wanting to push this in an H.R. Giger direction than Steampunk anyway. Best of luck to all those who finished their entries!

01 January 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread