"Application Error" crash with "EXC_BAD_ACCESS"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
"Application Error" crash with "EXC_BAD_ACCESS"

Hello,

I've had this specific crash on two separate projects. Essentially, during the middle of an overnight render, C4D gets an application error (that doesn't reference any plug-ins in the initial error message) and stops rendering. Upon opening the bug report, the error/exception reads "EXC_BAD_ACCESS".

A quick Google search reveals that this isn't inherently a C4D issue - that is has something to do with RAM, but I'm not sure how to test if one of our specific ram modules is or is not working (and I'd rather not replace all of them if that can be helped).

Could it also be a hard drive issue? I "solved" the problem on the first scene by doing a "save project with assets" to a separate location, after which the problem didn't occur any longer. Since I'm using a 3TB HDD, could it be that the disk is running out of gas, and causing problems with some bad spots?

I was wondering if any of you have had this specific error in a C4D related situation, and how you went about correcting it.

Thanks,
Luke

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 05 May 2013 at 01:53 PM.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Hello,

I've had this specific crash on two separate projects. Essentially, during the middle of an overnight render, C4D gets an application error (that doesn't reference any plug-ins in the initial error message) and stops rendering. Upon opening the bug report, the error/exception reads "EXC_BAD_ACCESS".

A quick Google search reveals that this isn't inherently a C4D issue - that is has something to do with RAM, but I'm not sure how to test if one of our specific ram modules is or is not working (and I'd rather not replace all of them if that can be helped).

Could it also be a hard drive issue? I "solved" the problem on the first scene by doing a "save project with assets" to a separate location, after which the problem didn't occur any longer. Since I'm using a 3TB HDD, could it be that the disk is running out of gas, and causing problems with some bad spots?

I was wondering if any of you have had this specific error in a C4D related situation, and how you went about correcting it.

Thanks,
Luke

Unless your hard driver returns garbled data it 's very unlikely that it is causing an memory access error.

You should get in touch with Maxon support. They will be able to forward your _Bugreport.txt and scene file to the developers to make further investigations.

Best regards,

wbj

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread