Dynamics Approach for Balloon on a string?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Dynamics Approach for Balloon on a string?

Hi, I'm building an animation where I'd like to have a dynamic effect similar to a helium balloon on a string. I've animated the object which would be the hand holding the string. So now I'd like it to drive the movement of a slightly distant object, but have that object have its own floating motion as well.

I'm fairly new to the dynamics now available (in the studio version.) Could someone suggest the basic setup I should start with?

Thanks!

Will

@WillMacNeil_VFX

05 May 2013
Hey,

I did something similar some time ago. What you could do is, use the feather object in the dynamics menu to use it as the connection between your hand and your ballon. You have to tweak the settings a little bit, like gravity etc. But if you are then moving your hand, the ballon is moving as well. Then use a spline with spline dynamics for the rope and fix the first point of the spline to your hand and the last point to your ballon. The part of the spline between the two points will then move dynamical.

I hope that helps

Anna

05 May 2013
Thanks Anna,

Do you really mean the feather object? I didn't know it was a dynamic object.

W

@WillMacNeil_VFX

05 May 2013
oh, sry, I just realized that I translated it wrong. In German it is the same name, but with different meanings, while in English these are two different words. I mean the spring object in the dynamics menu. Does that make sense?

Anna

05 May 2013
Ah, that makes more sense. So spring and feather are the same word in German? Interesting!

W

@WillMacNeil_VFX

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread