New API for custom renderer in MB 2014

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Question New API for custom renderer in MB 2014

"The custom renderer development is supported using the ORSDK (C++ API) from MotionBuilder 2014 onwards.
The custom render feature enables the plug-in developers to replace the default renderer by integrating an OpenGL based interactive scene shading solution that is commercially available or developed in-house into the MotionBuilder viewport.
The custom renderer enables you to utilize a characteristic scene shading solution of a desirable quality inside MotionBuilder with great flexibility. Additionally, the continuity is assured throughout a production pipeline because you can share a single renderer among multiple applications such as, MotionBuilder, Maya, or any other in-house application."

Please, I am not sure that I understood completely. We can now write plugin for "nesting" outside renderer in MotionBuilder? Or we have to wrote renderer from scratch?
Does this mean easier implementation of just, let say, self shadowing option into existent OpenGL Motionbuilder's renderer without need to implement entire new renderer?
Could we buy such renderer for Motionbuilder?

Sorry for couple questions, but every answer could help me a lot with decisions I had to make these days...
Thank you.
Tom

04 April 2013
OK, I asked that same question on AREA MotionBuilder forum, so it will be fair to copy here answer I got there, in case someone is interested:

Hi,
You can take any existing opengl hardware renderer and use it as a plugin to replace motion builder’s default viewer.
The default renderer can’t be changed, so any shadowing effect would need to come from a new renderer.
If you can buy an opengl game engine, deferred renderer, etc..., you can write the plugin to have it replace MotionBuilder’s default renderer (as seen in the video link above)
Hope that clears things up.

Product Designer for Virtual Production
Autodesk

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread