Utility Pole Wires/Cables with gravity and wind

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Utility Pole Wires/Cables with gravity and wind

Hi,

I have been looking for a long time now and I do have to admit that I am not an expert when it comes to Dynamics.

I really need the sublety of wind affecting quite heavy (and long) electricity wires and these kind of utility cables. Pretty much everything I found so far was either used in a character rig or was supposed to be animated in any way through a character, like a telephone cord.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for something more enviromental? (I want to change wind intensity throughout the animation.) I am sure if no one here can help me I will eventually find something or will animate it by hand with curves and clusters.

Thanks

02 February 2013
Best way I can think of would probably be to use some hair curves to simulate the dynamics. Make a curve for each wire, convert it into hair, (nHair works really good if you have 2013 SP1), then constrain the curves to the poles where they should be attached.

02 February 2013
Okay, thanks, I guess I will move into that direction.

But now how do I simulate wind the best? Create a (or multiple) clusters for each wire and let them have a bit of influence on the curve and animate them slightly?

02 February 2013
Peter,

Do you have 2013? Read as mentioned about nHair. Its fast, simple and easy...with wind. No crazy rigs.

If you dont have 2013, then use nCloth and simulate on thin, segmented ribbons and either extrude and smooth or wrap a hi res wire to the sim.

Either way shouldn't be difficult if you learn a few basics first.

Good luck!

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

02 February 2013
Hm, this is strange, I actually do have Maya 2013 but I can't find the nHair menu. Google tells me that some other people might have this, as well, and some fixed it by resetting the preferences but that doesn't work for me.

---Edit: Deleting more than just the user preferences helped. Aaand now I have to reconfigure everything. Dang.

02 February 2013
So, I created a cable/wire, following this video and I have a question.

For animation, is there any way to define the start of the wire simulation to start before frame #1? Can I somehow tell Maya to calculate the behaviour for - let's say - 1.000 frames in advanceso that I actually start using the animation I can start at frame #1 and I don't have the wire still shaking wildly?
Or do I either have to start recording at the frame where the wire is in position or/and try to put the wire in this position beforehand?

---Edit: Okay, I knew there had to be a downside. I can not use fields with this.

Thanks.

Last edited by Skexor : 02 February 2013 at 09:15 AM.

02 February 2013
Lol mate, you need to slow down and learn the basics before going mad.

Why cant you use fields?

Why cant you set your start time on the nucleus to be -10 or whatever run up you want?

Why cant you tweak the settings of your hair, do a little more than "push the do all" button? You can easily do a run up, you can key Damp on and off to help the wire settle down, etc...

Please do more research and learn about Nucleus before saying you cant do all the things you mention.

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

02 February 2013
I ran into that problem before, you need to install the latest service pack from Autodesk's website. They came out with 2013 before nHair was fully functional, and it wasn't working with fields at the time. If you update to SP1 or SP2 it will work with fields. And you want to go to time settings on the nucleus like Howard said and change the start time there.

02 February 2013
i just built a test scene quickly, seems like it would work for you, just create an n cloth tube, adjust the compression and the stretchy values, use a component constraint to the pole, in the nucleus play with the air and wind and grav settings until you have your desired effect, no fields used and its movement can/could/ be keyed... nucleus is your friend here

maybe this helps?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by HowardM: Peter,
Either way shouldn't be difficult if you learn a few basics first.

I have mainly done modeling and texturing and some skelton rig/animation so far.
So far I couldn't find the right tutorial. Usually Digital Tutors can give me what I want but not this time...
Or do you recommend a certain tutorial series?
(I just wanted to have some nice wires in the wind, but if I have to learn everything about Dynamics, so be it......)

Originally Posted by HowardM: Lol mate, you need to slow down and learn the basics before going mad.

Why cant you use fields?

Why cant you set your start time on the nucleus to be -10 or whatever run up you want?

Why cant you tweak the settings of your hair, do a little more than "push the do all" button? You can easily do a run up, you can key Damp on and off to help the wire settle down, etc...

Please do more research and learn about Nucleus before saying you cant do all the things you mention.

Tried putting the Start Frame under Time Attributes (I guess that's what you mean) to -100 or -1000. Sometimes it does not swing now when I play the scene from frame 1, sometimes it does. I have no idea.

Now this is when I sometimes hate Maya and programs like it. A f-ing wire in the wind should be an obvious scenario, with at least 10 tutorials and 10 different solutions with at least a few ways to control it a bit, but I can't find anything useful. I can't be the first guy to want this.

Originally Posted by newguy4life: I ran into that problem before, you need to install the latest service pack from Autodesk's website. They came out with 2013 before nHair was fully functional, and it wasn't working with fields at the time. If you update to SP1 or SP2 it will work with fields. And you want to go to time settings on the nucleus like Howard said and change the start time there.

Found your thread, did exactly that but I am probably too stupid. Dynamic Relationships Editor does not work, either.

Originally Posted by ritchiv: i just built a test scene quickly, seems like it would work for you, just create an n cloth tube, adjust the compression and the stretchy values, use a component constraint to the pole, in the nucleus play with the air and wind and grav settings until you have your desired effect, no fields used and its movement can/could/ be keyed... nucleus is your friend here

maybe this helps?

Have never even touched anything Cloth-related in Maya. I will probably have a look at that, as well. Another 20 hours of introduction tutorials, I guess.

Thanks, anyway, mates. Might as well stop wasting your time on me.

02 February 2013
Don't give up yet, the whole nDynamics are really complicated and intimidating at first, and nothing ever works right straight from start in Maya, but once you get used to it, it is incredibly useful. I use nCloth and nHair in almost everything that I do nowadays it seems, but it definitely took a while to get familiar with it to the point where I could be like, "I want this, and this is how to get it." Pretty much nothing in Maya makes any sense if you aren't already familiar with it.

It sounds like you are on the right path. If you installed the service pack after you created the hair, you might want to recreate it. I'm not sure if that's why you are having problems, or if it would even cause problems, just a thought. Keep trying though you'll get it.

02 February 2013
DONT GIVE UP!!!

my posts are either delayed or i posted some place rong, as i was on my phone.

ok, perhaps creating a scene file and sharing it here, you might gain new insight into your problems, ie letting us at it!!

maybe it will help you faster this way??

just dont quit dude!!

Ritchi

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread