80's nostalgia hitting rock bottom: MANIMAL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by kelgy: I would have expected a 6 Million Dollar Man movie before Manimal though

I've long wondered why they haven't made an update of this. Seems like one of the few "tech" themes that might still work. It could be amazing if it was done to the level of a dark/pathos show like Breaking Bad. It would be cool as an intense drama with a dark back-story (similar to the original where he didn't want to be an agent) and they basically used him as a human/robot experiment.

Like so many of the best (old) ideas, it's probably tied up in legal rights disputes.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by kelgy:

I would have expected a 6 Million Dollar Man movie before Manimal though

From your lips to GOD's ears...

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

09 September 2012
Quote: "I would have expected a 6 Million Dollar Man movie before Manimal though"

Adjusted for inflation he would have to be the 14.9 million dollar man.
Does not have the same ring to it though.
Most of those feats of strength were lower back/Spine related not a matter of arm strength.

Cheers

09 September 2012
There was a 2007 reboot attempt at a Bionic Woman series,

Some crappy compressed clips

I didn't see most of it, but the gist was it got killed by the big writer's strike at the time.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by THX1311: Adjusted for inflation he would have to be the 14.9 million dollar man.
Does not have the same ring to it though.
Most of those feats of strength were lower back/Spine related not a matter of arm strength.

I always noticed that, too. Sure, his robot arm would lift the huge semi truck, but his spine would have snapped like a breadstick. Also, it was really the perfect sci-fi/techy show in that there were essentially no vfx. Foam props, slow-mo camera, sound fx, and voila!

And I would just round up to 6 billion. With the black budget of the DoD/Skunk Works/DARPA, it actually seems feasible, and sounds better.

Also, we're basically talking about Robocop here, anyway, which was already a series.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by hypercube: There was a 2007 reboot attempt at a Bionic Woman series,

Some crappy compressed clips

I didn't see most of it, but the gist was it got killed by the big writer's strike at the time.

I didn't recall this one. I guess it made way more sense to have a Bionic Woman if the audience you're trying to reach is teen/twenty-something guy and girls. Looked like kind of a cool updating of the idea, though. Also looks like the casting/make-up specified a Scully look-a-like. Aside from the feats of strength, it also looked heavily influenced by Alias.

An element that would be hard to update, though, is the cold war hatred of the 70s. The USSR made for a convenient catch-all of "bad guys" to endlessly chase/kill/spy on. Nowadays, if any of the bad guys are other nationalities, they get slammed for being jingoistic or racist.

09 September 2012
We already HAVE a Manimal. ^^

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread