Unity 2.1 released!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2008
Unity 2.1 released!

The excellent game-engine, for both indie and professional users, Unity3d has been upgraded to version 2.1 and adds a lot of new features. Read more here!

Quote: Unity 2.1 Released
Unity is now a complete MMO-capable engine. Brand new major features like streaming Asset Bundles, multiple stitchable Terrains make it possible to stream gigantic worlds to the player based on how they play.

For everyone else, we have lots of other delicious new features including procedural generation/modification of rigged characters & animations, shadows and projectors on Terrains, per-camera shader replacement, complete Undo and a lot more.

07 July 2008
And I would totally buy it if it wasn't Mac only.
Maybe if my wife buys a good MacBook Pro...

07 July 2008
Quote: And I would totally buy it if it wasn't Mac only.
Maybe if my wife buys a good MacBook Pro...

I hear some vague rumours that a Windows-version is on its way though, but I no date is set yet. I won`t be surprised if the windows beta arrives this year and the release next year though. The Unity-devs are some extremely talented people

07 July 2008
I think Unity will explode when it finally comes to PC. So many people can see what working with a game engine should be like!

What a wonderful tool this is.

07 July 2008
wow that feature-list....it's amazing!

07 July 2008
yeah - this is really a great thing...
started working with it for a job a week ago - its unbelievable how the PC world
never came up with something similar ( and no - torque doesn't even come close...)
but THERE IS a PC version in development, but no releasedate.
There was even a thread/petition on the official forum to keep unity Mac only,
but its good that this will not be the case - I startet to use a Hackintosh only for this,
but i really can't stand the limited OSX thing.... the underlying BSD Unix is great though.....
but the Interface !!! arrgh....

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

07 July 2008
With the number of people switching to Macs, just because they can run Windows now as well it doesn't make much sense to port it to Windows. There are already too many game tools available on the Windows side for many more competitors to enter the market.

07 July 2008
Yes, because more good options is always a bad thing.

Quote: With the number of people switching to Macs, just because they can run Windows now as well it doesn't make much sense to port it to Windows.

I'm sorry, what?

People want Unity under Windows because they like developing either under Windows or on a PC, and would like to create games for Windows for the same price Unity current has set for developing for the Mac platform alone, (right now there's an extra cost for deploying under Windows as well) while having deploying to Mac as an option.

07 July 2008
Yeah, it looks great, but I'm a pc guy.
Currently I'm working with OGRE. I might consider the hackintosh route just to see what unity can do.

07 July 2008
I know about this engine, unfortunately is Mac only.

07 July 2008
Unity is great, but for the indie developer you still have to put a hell of alot of work in. When they say it's mmo-capable, they don't have an example project of an mmo where you can click go and you're done (like say, Realm Crafter). They do have examples of an FPS and a racing game though I think.

07 July 2008
Originally Posted by PixelTricks: Yeah, it looks great, but I'm a pc guy.
Currently I'm working with OGRE. I might consider the hackintosh route just to see what unity can do.

interested in a PC demo of Unity also. There is also C4 engine

07 July 2008
I can't wait for the day when unity3D comes out for the PC. I was blown away the first time I saw the demo... especially since I was working with a development team trying to build a similar product (and failed miserably by the way haha).

Powerful 3D engine in a small web-capable interface... brilliant.

07 July 2008
I wonder when Autodesk will buy them ..
might make a windows version come quicker ??

08 August 2008
Hi there:

i buy a macbookpro (with the infamous 8600m gt) just for unity and yes, it's worth and you can bootcamping so you can work both in xp and leopard.

The pc version (may be not) will be in a not so near future, so you can't expected it for at least this year.

Anyways, OSX is damn cool, is almost perfect but lack on some "minor" details such uninstall and real right button interface.

Thread Closed share thread