Eon (Illustration) Entry: Adam L. Richards

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2007
Thumbs up

This looks fabulous! I got no crits on this one. Rock on!

I dunno, maybe a little light bloom in the final stages, to really blow out some contrast? This one is killer!

Nice use of the 4th St. Bridge (i think) and LA River, btw! Or is that someplace up by the Zoo?

01 January 2007
I am impressed with this entry! Really well painted! I am interested in your process of how you did your buildings and clouds if you don't mind sharing. Tops!

01 January 2007
Thanks for the comments everyone! I appreciate it.

Beelow: The buildings are taken from reference photos, cut up, stitched together, and copy/pasted about ten times their actual size. I also combined buildings, and had to mask out the glass to get the reflections of light on some windows. The clouds are mostly just copy paste images into the scene, then i masked out the areas i didnt want and adjusted the levels and color balance of what was left. I used several photos of clouds in lightning storms for the areas around the plasma tube.

Most of the tecniques i use i learned from the Dylan Cole Gnomon DVD's. I highly recomend them!

So ive been dealing with monitor issues. what i thought was a well balanced image turned out to look realy flat and washed out on another monitor. So Ive been trying to find out which was lieing to me and making balance changes back and forth so it hopefully will look good on most monitors.

I think im pretty much done with it. I had played with the idea of making a structure on the right side of the image, but honestly i like the train tracks. They do look 'terrestrial'.... but I think Alexandrians wanted things to look that way. It was an ordinary asthetic on an extra ordinary sized city. I may tweek this a tiny bit before submitting my final tomorrow, But i think I'm calling it done.

01 January 2007
Final composite and colour timing: Alexandria

Final color i believe, will upload the big file tomorrow.

01 January 2007
MAN it looks dark now.... Deffinitely gona need to adjust something...

01 January 2007
Final composite and colour timing: Alexandria

Hopefully this is better..... monitors driving me nuts.

01 January 2007
Thumbs up

Looks kickass on my monitor, which I just calibrated last week to a 1.8 gamma, 5500K setting. See if my image looks dark on your monitor - if so you're probably all good.

It's got a great photographic overcast feel to it. I think it's a winner!

01 January 2007
Final Image: Alexandria

This is my vison of Alexandria. The book describes a city much like LA on a massive scale. I used many reference images of buildings in LA, and skyscrapers from all over the world. I tried to construct the buildings so they seemed to have the massive size of a sci fi environment, but the 'quaint' style Alexandria was all about.

To push the 'terrestrial' asthetic The alexandrians were going for I wanted to include some 'industrial' elements to the image. I used modern day train tracks and a run-off basin in the forground. In the more advanced areas of the stone, There would be no exposed waterways or traditional rail tracks, but I think in this town they would have wanted them to feel more at 'Home'.

The mood I wanted to capture was of awe for the scale of this massive city while also feeling a great sadness for this long abandoned ghost town.

01 January 2007
Thumbs up

congratulations dude! very massive & dark composition!

I LOVE IT! in fact .. again .... pretty real too!

good luck to u mate! cheers!

01 January 2007
What a beautiful atmosphere. Good luck Adam!

02 February 2007
Thanks for all the support guys!

I appreciate your help!

02 February 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread