Timer diffrence between stop motion and CG animation?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Talking Timer diffrence between stop motion and CG animation?

Hi,
I'm currently writing a thesis on the production differences between analog clay-stop motion and a CG interpretation.
Here is my CG interpretation :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tt4Gc2a2Jk
It took me 3 days to animate including making the texture/facial rigs.

I wounder how long it would take for a stop motion animator to animate that exact facial animation.
If you think you could provide some ballpark number, I would be very grateful!
...Or if you find time and lust, maybe try to animate it with plasticine =)

If you are going to try to animate the same clip, do not mind the lightning since it's only animation time I'm looking for.

Thanks for reading!

Old 08 August 2013   #2
I think a lot of the stop motion animation nowadays is very very advanced, with computer systems breaking up the phonemes, giving the animators a very good guide to work from.

It also depends if they are swapping out heads for the expressions, or using articulated puppets. I think that Wallace and Gromit was done by swapping out the heads, but I'm really not certain.

I would imagine that if an animator had the phonemes worked out, and all of the heads already printed or sculpted, they would produce a clip like that very quickly.

However, if they were creating the entire armature, and the heads from scratch, it would take a few days, or even weeks.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
You should ask this at stop motion central.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Pyke: I think a lot of the stop motion animation nowadays is very very advanced, with computer systems breaking up the phonemes, giving the animators a very good guide to work from.

It also depends if they are swapping out heads for the expressions, or using articulated puppets. I think that Wallace and Gromit was done by swapping out the heads, but I'm really not certain.

I would imagine that if an animator had the phonemes worked out, and all of the heads already printed or sculpted, they would produce a clip like that very quickly.

However, if they were creating the entire armature, and the heads from scratch, it would take a few days, or even weeks.

Yes, I have written about the digital revolution in the stop motion industry since Laika entered in my thesis.
Regardless if the animator chooses to replace the entire head or just modify the exciting mesh, how long would it take.
Are the rigs hard to setup do you think?

Originally Posted by kelgy: You should ask this at stop motion central.

Thank you! I will be post the question there as well!

Old 08 August 2013   #5
From from I know having worked at Aardman, shots tended to average between 1 to 2 days of actual hero animation time in features - that's not including any animation prep time or blocking out the camera, lighting and animation (rough animation done on 4s).

It depends through, commercials and broadcast programs are typically done on shorter schedules while some of the more involved shots on a feature could require up to several days.

Have a look at this video around the 3:30 mark, it'll give you a sense of how they schedule the shoot on the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnkqlNPDu1E

As to how long it'd take to animate your test, at a guess I'd say maybe half a day of animation time.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Originally Posted by earlyworm: From from I know having worked at Aardman, shots tended to average between 1 to 2 days of actual hero animation time in features - that's not including any animation prep time or blocking out the camera, lighting and animation (rough animation done on 4s).

It depends through, commercials and broadcast programs are typically done on shorter schedules while some of the more involved shots on a feature could require up to several days.

Have a look at this video around the 3:30 mark, it'll give you a sense of how they schedule the shoot on the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnkqlNPDu1E

As to how long it'd take to animate your test, at a guess I'd say maybe half a day of animation time.

Oh thank you!
Also awsome that you have worked at Aardman! =D
So by around half day, it's 4 hours~ ?

So when he says 32 shots per weeks, he means film shots as in sequences?

Last edited by Blackshore : 08 August 2013 at 08:04 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #7
No he means 32 shots as in http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(filmmaking) . A sequence is made up of a series of shots, what you've animated would be considered a single shot.

I asked my wife for clarification (as she's scheduled stop motion productions) and she said for just doing mouth/head replacements a good animator could do it in half a day (4 hours). They generally aim for an average of 2 seconds a day of completed footage. How long a shot takes depends on number of characters, the action involved, lip-syncing requirements and the camera move. There are sometimes other situations which come up which may affect how long a shot takes, but those are the main ones.

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Originally Posted by earlyworm: No he means 32 shots as in http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(filmmaking) . A sequence is made up of a series of shots, what you've animated would be considered a single shot.

I asked my wife for clarification (as she's scheduled stop motion productions) and she said for just doing mouth/head replacements a good animator could do it in half a day (4 hours). They generally aim for an average of 2 seconds a day of completed footage. How long a shot takes depends on number of characters, the action involved, lip-syncing requirements and the camera move. There are sometimes other situations which come up which may affect how long a shot takes, but those are the main ones.

Thank you so much! and your wife as well!
I will be quoting this statement in my thesis!

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread