Tearing nCoth all over, while being held in place, Advice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Tearing nCoth all over, while being held in place, Advice

Hello, looking for some ncloth advice.
Im trying to tear a piece of ncloth in multiple places all over a plane, but within a specific area, like a field, while the shattered pieces outside of the field remain fixed, until the field reaches them.
Currently creating a single faced plane and using the cut face tool to shatter it into tearing areas, extracting and recombining the mesh so the ncloth will tear in those places, then smoothing repeatedly to allow each teared section to curl and bend when inside the turbulence bounding box. However this is where im stuck, sections outside of the bounding box are being affected (as you would expect) Tried using weld constrain but with no luck, tried tearable surface all over which just allows every vert to be affected which leads to lots of squares and tried it selecting just the cuts i put in place with selecting edges, but outside edges are still affected. Tried transform to hold it in place, which is the nearest its got but still not right.
Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated

Old 01 January 2013   #2
A popular way is to use SOuP attributeTransfer and weightPP. Here you can use bounding objects to set the vertex weight on the nCloth component node to zero while the other verts outside the bound remain at 1. Then you could just parent a field to the bounding objects to blow the pieces of nCloth away. Ill build a simple scene and post it soon.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
SOuP is a great option if your pipeline supports it.
I had to go SOuP-less a while back and had a lot of luck with animated maps (image sequences or procedurals) Here is the blow by blow.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=86&t=1061982

Just a note that in my experience using input attract to lock stuff down is much faster than any constraints...in my experience...I do things wrong most of the time.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Thanks for replying guys, read over my post and was worried i hadn't explained it very well, glad you guys got it.
Quote: Ill build a simple scene and post it soon.

That would be awesome, SOuP scares me slightly.
Quote: I had to go SOuP-less a while back and had a lot of luck with animated maps

Like using a ramp say to control vert weight? is that possible?
Done some more experimenting and used a duplication of the plane (without the shattering) in a component to component constraint, so the breaking surface is held in place until the field passes over. Managed to get something more along the lines of what I was going for, but havnt tried it using smoothed surfaces. Also a side question; is the method im using to shatter and divide the mesh the best way?

Old 01 January 2013   #5
SOuP is easier to use than it might seem. Here is a test I did a while back to have a hand shattering. The technique I used for the gradual crumble is the same as someone has already outlined here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knihvFp8fiw .

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Here you go, Maya 2013, SouP 2013 build.
BAsic workflow is to connect the outWeightPP into the nComponent of the dynamic constraint. One bounding object covers the whole nCloth with a value of 1, the animated bounding object is negative 1 so it kills the constraint where it touches.

I prefer this method over animated maps because you can parent the bounding object to an animated object, turn the bound object into particles if you like or just keyframe its transform as I have here.

Probably select the attributeTransfer node and graph that in the node editor.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SOuPnComponent.ma.zip (28.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Aikiman : 01 January 2013 at 09:50 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Im confused. Why cant you just use Input Mesh Attract with ramps/image seq?

Of course SouP would be more robust, but... a lil more work....

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 01 January 2013   #8
depends on what one is comfortable with I guess. Personally I like the freedom of animating the bounding object, especially if the bounding objects are particles it makes the texture maps redundant. Also you have options to transfer other surface attributes with the same bound objects if you decide later or emit fluids and particles, just gives me more options.

If you're not comfortable with SOuP then by all means use texture maps, Im just offering an alternative solution.

Last edited by Aikiman : 01 January 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #9
yeah im sure using Soup is a much better method... still have never had enough time to play with it.... lol whats it been at least 3 years? one day one day...

just saying it is easily doable with out of the box ncloth...

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Originally Posted by HowardM: yeah im sure using Soup is a much better method... still have never had enough time to play with it.... lol whats it been at least 3 years? one day one day...

just saying it is easily doable with out of the box ncloth...

I know time flies!
I totally agree, I should look into this myself since you probably can achieve what is required just using maps.

Old 01 January 2013   #11
I did a nice project using animated maps and inputAttract. It was a face/head of an old woman, with the skin cracking like a dry lake bed, and falling away. I used nuke to a animate a dilate/erode of the crack map. That let the edges lift away, and then completely fall loose on the next beat.

Then the shot was cut! Ugh. Anyway, I don't see any reason to go outside the box on this one. nCloth will do it easily.

I did have an issue with the maps at first. nCloth will only accept file textures, or something. That was a minor road bump. It might even be fixed by now, who knows....

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Been looking at soup past couple of days, quite a lot of new stuff to get your head around. Studied the scene you sent me Aiki (thanks!), and tried to work out what was going on and after a few attempts i managed to work out what the new nodes were doing and how they are connected, and got it working. Looks brill!
I agree being able to visualise what is breaking and where with a box is much more 'live' - i like it. While i do think using soup is the better option i would like to try using maps, just to compare. It sounds bad but i dont even think i know how to make an animated map, anyone got a tutorial or a step by step?
Quote: I used nuke to a animate a dilate/erode of the crack map.

How did you do this? Was wondering if this could help with 'shrinking' the shattered objects over time?
Quote: Also you have options to transfer other surface attributes with the same bound objects if you decide later or emit fluids and particles, just gives me more options.

Please could you elaborate on this or give an example?

Old 01 January 2013   #13
Animated maps can be any image sequence, or just animate the values/placement on a Maya 2D Ramp or Noise.

The most elaborate setup I did to make animated maps was to render a 1024x1024 image out of maya with a bunch of objects moving with black and white surface shaders assigned. It was easy to control/create a very detailed transition in ways that would have been crazy complicted with a bunch of SOUP bounding object.
But either is valid...do what you are comfortable with.

Check out the post I gave for the details on getting maya to update with animated maps.

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread