TELL US: Who are the BEST Comic Book/ Comic Strip Artists?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2005   #91
Most of these are "old masters" and I tried not to repeat anyone already mentioned:

Comic book artists:
Neal Adams
Al Williamson
Wally Wood
Jack Davis
Steve Ditko
Gray Morrow
Richard Corben
M.W. Kaluta
Harvey Kurtzman
Katsuhiro Otomo

Comic Strips:
Milton Caniff
Hal Foster
Alex Raymond
E.C. Segar
Stan Drake
Pat Sullivan
George Herriman
Burne Hogarth
Al Capp
Herge

and everyone else Here's a good listing:
http://www.lambiek.net/home.htm

-DBC

Last edited by dbclemons : 12 December 2005 at 05:56 PM.

Old 12 December 2005   #92
Hmm,I'm sorry to hear that comic book colorists aren't quite seen as artists.I'd also include the inkers but they're a lot harder to define who is really good and who's not,because they're work is so dependent of the penciler.But I think the comic book colorists are becoming more n more important not only to the looks but also to the storytelling.And if that's not enough,somebody tell me Jim Lee's work has ever looked better before being colored by Alex Sinclair,in Batman:Hush.Another great example is Humberto Ramos colored by Edgar Delgado.Not to forget legendary Brian Haberlin and his Avalon Studios!Liquid inevitably springs to mind,also.But I guess I made my point so I'll leave all the other great names for someone else to point.
As for other artists that I didn't see named,I'd add(and really advise everybody to take a look at they're work cuz it just rocks like crazy):

Marini-Rapaces
Juan Bobillo-Bird
Massimiliano Frezzato-I Custodi del Maser
Juanjo Guarnido-Blacksad
Barbucci and Canepa-Sky Doll

P.S.Still on the topic of the colorists,here's a link to a great article about colorist/color artists:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/n...tem.cgi?id=4356

Old 12 December 2005   #93
You make a good point, ShinobiXXX. Comic books are a colaborative effort of several artists; although, some have been known to ruin the pencils too. Many great inkers are not so hot when you see them inking their own layouts. I tried to list artists who do great work in all aspects. Neal Adams is a great artist in many areas, but his coloring is poor. My favorite artist known for his coloring is Dave Stewart of "Conan" and "Hellboy."

-DBC

Old 12 December 2005   #94
I agree with you,dbclemons,when you say:
Quote: although, some have been known to ruin the pencils too
There's a lot more artistry to coloring comics,nowadays.Long are the days that every comic book was pretty much flat.Thankfully the technology allows colorists to a much better work than ever before but it doesn't mean that it is easier.There's a lot more skill and knowlegde to it,not only about anatomy,lighting,color,stoytelling,etc.,but also about the tools,computers and programs.So I think it's a bit ridiculous that colorists ,most times,still are perceived as they were 15 or 20 years ago both creditwise and and paymentwise.
Of course,that may just be me,being an aspiring comic book colorist...

Last edited by BruceAzevedo : 12 December 2005 at 05:07 PM.

Old 12 December 2005   #95
Comic book/strip artists I admire

Frank Fazetta (best of all time IMHO)
Hal Foster
Alex Raymond
Jack Kirby
Reed Crandall
Angelo Torres
Mike Kaluta
Gray Morrow
Mobieus

The list is endless... Comics are highly disciplined work; it takes true committment to work successfully in that field.

Last edited by willbrown : 12 December 2005 at 07:02 PM.

Old 12 December 2005   #96
I'll keep it short:

Classic:
Frank Frazetta
John Buscema
Walt Simonson

Modern:
J Scott Campbell
Cary Nord
Al Rio
Mark Silvestri

Manga
Goseki Kojima
Hioraki Samura

My website
http://www.jerryautieri.com

My Blog
http://www.jerry-bigpicture.blogspot.com

Old 12 December 2005   #97
Head on over to http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/index.php and choose for yourself.

Old 12 December 2005   #98
Quote:
[There's a lot more skill and knowlegde to it,not only about anatomy,lighting,color,stoytelling,etc.,but also about the tools,computers and programs.So I think it's a bit ridiculous that colorists ,most times,still are perceived as they were 15 or 20 years ago both creditwise and and paymentwise.

that is true but in my opinion the blame also lies inthe colourists who seem to insist of keeping things in a sort odf a standstill zone being satisfied with average fill and render tricks. i guess the problem also lies in the concept of the teamwork. sometimes the vanity of a single teammember can degrade the quality of the comic. in this way sometimes inker is just a tool to boss around the colourust to keep everything within the vanits limits of the penciler.only when there exists trust between penciler and a colorist something amazing can be created. but hey dont get me wrong im not saying inkers are bad i personally saw some who upgraded pencilers work vastly and in a way they operated on trust. here is an example of a penciler-colorist trust
http://www.jadedexpressions.com/fea...cles/arcana.php

Old 12 December 2005   #99
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread