Import high detail into Zbrush

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2017
Import high detail into Zbrush

Hi everyone!

I made a low poly character retopologized from a high poly mesh made in Zbrush.
I baked the high poly mesh details into low poly mesh using the baking option on Substance Painter. So I exported the normal map which contains the high detail, now I want to polypaint the low poly mesh in Zbrush but would be helpful to paint it by seeing the high details.
I know you can import normal maps by using Tool > Normal Map and select it, but then you have to render it to see it? or there's some way to watch the high detail in real time like Substance Painter?

08 August 2017
You can import the normal map, but as you found out, you can't see the effect unless you render. But even if you could see the effect of the normal map on the model, you can't paint a low poly model in ZBrush. Polypainting applies paint to the vertices of your model, so if you're trying to paint a low poly model, you're going to get a very low quality paint job. In order to polypaint successfully, you would need to subdivide your model to a much higher resolution. Here's a tutorial that covers the subject: http://pixologic.com/zbrushlive/ask...low-poly-model/

If you already have the low poly model and normal map in Substance Painter, why don't you just paint the model there?

08 August 2017
Oh well I just wanted to practice hand painting with ZBrush, but I think I'll combine both softwares, thanks for that tutorial

08 August 2017
not sure if i understand
but use tool>texture map WITH your normal map
then use ZPlugin>projection master and paint with a texture not polypaint,
you can convert the texture to a polypaint when your done, when done divide the mesh a bunch
then tool>polypaint>polypaint from texture.
make sure the texture is showing in the texture pallet.

make sure when you start make the texture LARGE
TOOL>uv map 4096
then
tool>texture map>new txtr

polypainting lags zbrush and you can convert the texture to polypaint when your done.
your other app maybe better for painting, zbrush is ok but not the best

Last edited by informerman : 08 August 2017 at 03:09 AM.

08 August 2017
Oh yes thanks! that's what i wanted, didn't know about Projection Master, that was so helpful!

reply share thread