I'm probably in the wrong place, but...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

06 June 2014
I'm probably in the wrong place, but...

Hey everyone, I'm probably not suppose to be here; but I love art and would like to be more proficient or improve at least.

I'm new to digital art and have only taken 3 art classes in the last 4 years.

So bombs away!

I'm trying to work on a concept of Monkey god running away from Rulai Buda, as Rulai buda slowly rising above the cloud. But the diagonal composition is a bit stronger than I would like it to be.

this is the thumbnail I did for it, seemed like it worked out a bit better in the thumbnail X(.

So any help, crit would be great.

07 July 2014
Your main shapes are too similar in size. I would suggest making the Buddha's hand significantly bigger so it dominates the composition more (and conveys the excitement of the scene as in the narrative).

Don't push your main shapes to the edge or corner so far in a composition. Always leave some breathing room. The only time you want to have the composition feel cramped is if you want the scene to feel claustrophobic.

When you block in your composition, work out the values and colors exactly as you would want the finished painting to look. What you're creating, is like a simplified version of the finished painting. Don't just use lines and a few key values here and there but leave the rest unplanned. Plan out the entire image cohesively.

07 July 2014
hiya, thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I finish the painting; however it's very lacking XD.

But your advice probably will still apply XD

07 July 2014
You're missing a lot of basic foundation knowledge, and in order to improve your work, you'll have to dedicate time and energy to study and practice the foundation of visual art. You must learn subjects like composition, lighting, values, form, color theory, perspective, anatomy/figure, etc. You should go and read the sticky threads in the Art Techniques & Theories forum (linked below in my signature), since they contain a lot of information about how to learn and practice effectively.

Other than the composition problem I already pointed out, you also need to learn about lighting and colors. For example, shadows are not black. The color of shadows depends on the ambient lighting's color cast, so in the case of your scene, The cast and form shadows should take on the color cast of the sky, since the atmosphere will bounce its color onto the shadows. So if the sky is blue, your shadows will be blue. If the sky is orange, the shadows will be orange. You can learn about the basics of lighting here: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

You also need to learn how to cast shadows correctly and consistently. None of this is arbitrary--there are exactly laws of physics governing all of it, and it's not hard to learn how to depict cast shadows accurately (lots of tutorials available).

07 July 2014
Thank you for all the suggestions and critique I will look over them and practice. I do lack a lot of the foundations, I usually draw from photos so I never thought of anything indepth about them until piece.

Thank you!

reply share thread