UV Mapping probkens after extrusion

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
UV Mapping probkens after extrusion

Hey guys,

I have an issue. The issue is that I have a UV Mapped cube. It has subdivisions of 8x8x8. Now, when i select some faces and extrude or extrude inner, the new faces that have been created dont follow the uv mapping. It creates a new map for the the new faces and requires me to uv map again. Is there anyway to get around this and force the new UV Map that has been created to follow and fit in with the surrounding faces?

Thanks!

04 April 2013
hi,

while automatic uv coordinate generation for polygonal modelling operations is generally
a pretty difficult task and i have not seen any software until today which would always
produce uv-maps which a human would consider as the logical outcome of a certain
modelling operation, c4ds modelling toolset is very dated and the uv-generation can
only be called sloppy at best. you will have to unwrap your model manually.

04 April 2013
Thank you

Thanks for the reply, its much appreciated.
It's a shame that C4D can't achieve this. I noticed however that maya is capable of this, and is rather unfortunate for me being a C4D user.
I'll just have to use the classic workaround.

Thanks

04 April 2013
hi,

i am aware about what maya, xsi, modo and so on can do. i just wanted to say that even
they have scenarios where the algorithms fail or do not do what a human would consider
as the logical outcome. c4ds polygonal modeling toolset is over 10 years old now and maxon
has not shown much efforts to update it, so you are beating a dead horse there. the whole
topic is kind of the holy grail of c4d user rants

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread