Animation layer rotation issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Animation layer rotation issue

I've just started playing around with animation layers and for the most part they're pretty great. But for some reason, whenever I have a animation layer set in my scene, I am no longer able to set a key with a rotation beyond 360 degrees (between +-180 degrees to be exact). All existing keys with a rotation over 360 are fine, and I'm also able to drag keys over 360 in the graph editor (which will be a huge pain when I get to higher values), but with every new key that gets set, it's rotation set with an equivalent rotation within the limit (i.e. a rotation of 3,000,000 sets a key at 120 lol). Also, once I delete the animation layer, everything goes back to normal...

My scene setup is an empty animation layer and all animation is being done on the BaseAnimation layer. Anybody know what's going on? Is there a checkbox or something I'm overlooking?

Last edited by smillz999 : 03 March 2013 at 11:01 PM.

03 March 2013
Has this happened to nobody else? Or vice versa? Is this just how animation layers work?

03 March 2013
Can't reproduce it here (2013), can you post a file to illustrate it?

Cheers,
Brian

03 March 2013
I'll do you one better . Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcs5YnXmLXw

Also while I was making a video I found a second issue (I show it a minute into the video). For some reason after I set a key and then hop past the key and make a new pose, if I were to try and discard the new pose by going back to the last keyframe like I usually would, the new pose is stays for some reason. There is a workaround for that so it's kind of a non-issue for me, and I didn't really look into what may be causing it, but is that due to a setting in the animation layer's options?

03 March 2013
In your first post you didn't specify which version of Maya but I see from the video it's 2012.
If I try the same thing in 2012 indeed it works like you illustrate but it works fine in 2013. So I guess this is a bug that has been fixed since, upgrading might be your only option I guess if you need to get around it.

Cheers,
Brian

03 March 2013
hmmm that's a weird bug to have huh? Well if that's the case I'll have to put off using animation layers till my next project when I have a chance to upgrade. Thanks Brian! I was going crazy trying to figure out a way around it.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread