CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
MDMD
portfolio

Unhappy Broken surface, any ideas?

I used most part of yesterday trying to figure out this problem, but now I hope that someone here can help me out. The model is made by someone else in Inventor, and imported to Max. It was originally imported as a body object and converted to a editable poly. When I select vertexes and move them upwards to make increase the height of the model, SOME of the surfaces are broken. The pillars front/left/right sides are broken while the backsides look fine. Does anyone have any idea as to whats going on??

Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
viro
Know-it-All

portfolio
Michael Burgoyne
Technical Director
Infuse Medical
Salt Lake City, USA

I'm not sure if I get your problem. But it sounds like some of your verts are not welded together. Before you convert from the body object you want to make sure everything is welded. I like to use the STL check on it before i convert to make sure there are no errors.

I might be able to help more if I could see what your dealing with.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Body Object surfaces aren't welded. You need to use Pro Optimizer on the objects with merge vertices set to 0.0 and it should weld the seams. If you still have a scene with the Body Objects enable Weld and Smooth and it will weld the seams and convert the vertex normal smoothing to smoothing groups. You should be able to then convert to Poly and do your edits.

-Eric

Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
viro
Know-it-All

portfolio
Michael Burgoyne
Technical Director
Infuse Medical
Salt Lake City, USA

ah yes the Weld and Smooth check box. This doesn't always work for me and I some times need to go into the weld panel hence the reason for saying "you need to make sure its welded before you convert it to an editable poly." Using an edit poly modifier on top of the body objects modifier stack with an STL check should solve most problems.

I think his model is already an editable poly though so just using weld set to 0 should do the trick right.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Weld and Smooth only works across edges that appear White in edge mode. Anything appearing Blue is considered an open edge and will not be welded.

However, if you don't have Weld and Smooth enabled when you convert to Poly or Mesh there will be no welding of vertices no matter what color the Body Object edges are.

-Eric

Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
MDMD
portfolio

Thank you all! I saw your answers too late, but will surely try them on the other body objects. I'm still kind of new too these kind of problems, so I went a not-as-good way, and used the slice modifier to split the mesh, which worked fine. But its like using duck tape I guess.
Can you please tell me what the STL check is?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
MDMD
portfolio

So, I imported another body object, and checked the Weld and Smooth box. Should I also select all edges and Weld all? Or is it enough to check the Weld and Smooth, and then convert it to a poly?
Thank you for your help, its much appreciated

Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

In Body Object if there are Blue edges you need to Weld or Sew them. Weld & Smooth will weld vertices at Body Object surfaces that share a welded/white edge. Only downside is that some of the smoothing will change as the surface data will be converted from vertex normals to face normals/smoothing groups.

-Eric

Old 12-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
MDMD
portfolio

Thumbs up

Ok, I see. Thank you!

Old 12-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
LegatoBluesummers
Frequenter

portfolio
USA

what are the Body Objects used for? I read up on them some time ago in the documentation but i really didn't understand,

something from another program? just curious

Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Body Objects are BREP CAD data. It is engineering CAD parametric surfaces, similar to NURBS but the Body Object toolset lacks the creation and editing that NURBS have. NURBS can be converted to Body Objects. What this gives you is surface/edge representation that defines a parametric surface which can have the geometry altered by defining new parameters.

Clear as mud?
-Eric

Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread