CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: Animation
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
snahfu
portfolio
United Kingdom

Help with choppy video

Hi guys, long time lurker and only now got an account and needed to post.

Im having a real nightmare of a time trying to get this animation to render out smoothly. The project must be at 25FPS and look real smooth.

here is a section of the animation i have so far, you notice when the line comes close to the camera it suddenly looks very choppy, even with object motion blur applied. its like the problem goes deeper than just a motion blur. I am using 2 splines (rendered with adaptive interpolation), one for the camera and one for a node that the camera looks at. Both run smoothly along their lines as far as i can tell but for some reason there is a jolty effect as if the speed of the node or the camera is oscillating as it moves. I have attached my scene file so if anyone is kind and willing they can have a look and see what they think.

Download link
http://we.tl/xDkAG8hneU

Thanks in advance for any help!
<3

Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
snahfu
portfolio
United Kingdom

Just a follow up, I didn't exactly find a solution to this problem but in the process of trying I did learn quite a lot about animation and motion graphics. This was a really helpful resource: http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publ...psid_90843.html

Might be of some use to anyone who finds this thread.
Cheers.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
w1ckit

Hi

Can I ask, after you have encoded your animation and before you upload to youtube, for example, does your video run fine and smooth on say a video player on your computer?

Just that I have the same problem with my dead salvage trailer on youtube, which is at 25fps and runs a little choppy on there.

On my pc, via a media player, it runs smooth as silk.

Just wondering if it's youtube that is perhaps upconverting video to 30fps....perhaps.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
snahfu
portfolio
United Kingdom

Hey man,

Nah, the problem was persistent throughout all video players. I did a lot of work testing the animation at different frame rates. In the end the solution i found was to just double the frame rate since the final animation was being projected using a good projector that could handle 50fps output. kinda cheating but the result was a lot less choppy and far easier on the eye.

Cheers,

Old 09-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread