CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRobbin
Two tiers from the top?!!! We're talking dualed right? Aren't you also renting out your Xeon reject for an extra $100 a month to the electric company?? (had to go there)

i'll take your word for it ,
the i7 series seems to have changed the laws of nature.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying.

Talking same money a top tier i7 will cost you less than a couple tiers down the xeon lines, that's the two tiers comment.
The electric company part I plain don't get, sorry you went all the way there, wherever that was, for nothing.

With the reject comment I have to assume you think that i7s are batches that didn't make it to xeon and got demoted. If that's what you think, you are just about as mistaken as you were in thinking ECC ram makes any difference to software stability. If anything the hand picked batches are the i7 ex.
When CPUs have different amounts of L1 cache they simply don't come from the same batch btw, so even ignoring the current process (which has an overabundance of CPUs testing top tiers having to be branded below) xeons would be rejects of xeons and i7s of i7s.
If it was something else, apologies, I must be particularly dense today because I'm not getting that part either then

As for the rest, sentry made a decent enough point that I don't feel I need to re-iterate it, other than that I'd say it stands up even WITHOUT overclocking anything.

You started from a fairly silly base arguing for xeons and ECC making any difference to stability whatsoever, though I have no doubt you meant well and actually believe it to be true, but I'm not sure what you're getting at now. You were wrong though, and still are, and it's got nothing to do with the laws of nature being subverted

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #32
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Sandy bridge E came out about 6 months before the sandy bridge xeons. Intel's original plan was to release the sandy bridge xeons immediately after sandy bridge-E i7's hit the market, but due to AMD's lack of competition and the trouble they had with the original sandy bridge chipset, they put it off.

They were supposed to have ivy bridge xeons released early this year, but since they let their server line slide 6 months behind schedule, they're now going to skip ivy bridge xeons and go straight to haswell for their xeon line.

Apple got screwed by this decision with their mac pro line and now has to wait for the haswell chips since it's too late to bother with sandy bridge xeon mac pros.

sandy bridge-E i7's do have 2 disabled cores on their 6-core models:

You can see the 2 disabled chips (connection severed by a laser)

I've had conversations with actual intel engineers and this is a common thing they've done as far back as the original pentium chip actually being a disabled pentium pro because it costs less to manufacture 1 chip than having tooling for 2 different chips.

I would put down money that the xeon 2687W and 2690 are the exact same chip, just clocked different. The 2687W is rated at 150 watts and runs hotter at 3.1 ghz while the 2690 is 130 watts and 2.9ghz.

From what I understand, the 2690 is actually the superior chip technically and uses less voltage and runs cooler than the 2687W. The 2687W though is clocked slightly higher even though it's technically inferior to the 2690, because they decided to label it a workstation-only CPU where there would be better cooling than what a smaller rackmount case can offer.

The fact that they're rated at different watts just means intel measured the wattage and labeled them as such. They both turbo boost to the same 3.8ghz

Same with the 3930k, 3960x, and 3970x with the exception that the 3930k is handicapped slightly with 3 megs of disabled L3 cache and they're all clocked slightly different. They certainly seem to perform roughly the same when each is clocked to the same ghz and draw about the same amount of power with a slight difference with the 3930k's using less L3 cache. Then again the 3930k it runs cooler and uses less power at the same clock speed as the other two.

Last edited by sentry66 : 04-14-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

edit:
Never mind, I simply shouldn't bother

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #34
vlad
Expert

Quote:
Two tiers from the top?!!! We're talking dualed right? Aren't you also renting out your Xeon reject for an extra $100 a month to the electric company?? (had to go there)

i'll take your word for it ,
the i7 series seems to have changed the laws of nature.

Do you actually believe that a single cpu can draw 100$ a month of electricity? Even when running 24/7? Let alone a marginal power consumption discrepancy between 2 different models of chips? Your tendency to over exaggerate everything only does make you sound silly, if anything...

Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #35
RoundRobbin
Expert

portfolio
M H
3d generalist
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
Do you actually believe that a single cpu can draw 100$ a month of electricity?

an overclocked i7 could draw up to 270 watts.

dual xeons about 150w limit.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #36
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Quote:

Seriously, stop. An entire i7 overclocked to 4.5GHz will draw between 150 and 250 watts depending on which generation i7 and whether it s 4 or 6 core. The dual Xeons will be doing 150 just for the cpu chips, let alone powering the rest of the machine.

Even if the single i7 sucked down an extra 100 watts, which it wont, the increased monthly bill with an average electricity rate would be £7 a month should the system run at 100% cpu load. But it wont, it will likely only be rammed to full a quarter of the time, so your new bill is an extra £1.50 a month. But then the i7 wont chew through an extra 100 watts in the real world, so the extra monthly cost, at most, is pennies.

Honestly, you just come off as someone trying to justify their own purchase to themselves. Now stop spreading misinformation, its tiresome.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #37
RoundRobbin
Expert

portfolio
M H
3d generalist
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
Seriously, stop. An entire i7 overclocked to 4.5GHz will draw between 150 and 250 watts

skip to 6:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKlkKGApCc

I'm sue it could load to 500 with 3d progs.

ayway,

It doesn't matter , pretty much conceded 10 posts ago.
later.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #38
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

It peaks at 275 watts when both the cpu and gpu are under full load. 130 of which are drawn by the Radeon 7870 gfx card.

Thats it, thats the absolute limit the machine will draw. Firing up a copy of Maya wont make the machine magically guzzle down any more electricity than what you see in the video.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #39
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Quote:

150 watts EACH

What's not also being considered is how much power the motherboard needs to draw to feed the memory controller, chipsets, and voltage regulators appropriately fed while under load. Who cares what the CPU by itself is drawing. It's the motherboard+CPU that matters

dual xeon 2687w uses 421 watts under full load:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ew,3149-11.html

meanwhile a 5ghz 3930k system draws 516 watts under full load
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/46... /index11.html
(5ghz isn't likely for a 24/7 system under load. It's significantly harder to reach than than 4.9ghz)

This is a ballpark estimate since both systems had different hard drives and graphic cards that draw different power when those components are idle during CPU stress tests.

If both systems were run at full load for a month, the 3930k system costs about $10 a month more according to this electricity cost estimator site:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html
...however consider that the dual xeon system will likely cost you $4000 more up front than the i7 machine

Last edited by sentry66 : 04-14-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #40
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Quote:
skip to 6:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKlkKGApCc

I'm sue it could load to 500 with 3d progs.

ayway,

It doesn't matter , pretty much conceded 10 posts ago.
later.

Are you mainly concerned about how much wattage is used with the GPU under load or are weren't we talking about how much wattage is drawn by CPU under load in this thread?

Of course a GPU under load is going to use a lot of wattage. That'll happen regardless if it's in a xeon or i7 system. That's an independent issue from the CPU

Last edited by sentry66 : 04-14-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #41
Mickolboy
Veteran
portfolio
Mick
Madrid, España

I, too, was going to buy a Quadro, but they're a rip off. I opted for a Gigabyte GTX 680 4 gb, just got it yesterday & it's working like a dream with incredible low temps in Maya & Mudbox.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
bluelord
PRO

portfolio
Kemal Korkmaz
Industrial Products Designer
Istanbul, Turkey

Dear Masters;

I have few knowledge about computer systems and i'm confused about what i must buy..

I Don't waste my Money..i must use it several years..and i don't want to pay high electricity bills..

So, i want to know your advices about my new configuration of Workstation..

i have about 2500-3000 usd..

Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #43
okmijun
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zdravko Barisic
Architect
Belgrade, Serbia

For the small office, 3930K is the best value for money, together with GTX 670 + 32GB of rama + double setup of monitors, etc... for the rest of the money you can buy very cheap FX-8350s as a small render power.I really do not see any reason for extra price dual xeon mobos
even, in the SINGLE thread, they are even slower!!!
so, whats the reason?!?!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
Mickolboy
Veteran
portfolio
Mick
Madrid, España

I'm actually doing half a build at the moment, I have a good idea:

ASUS P9X79 PRO (always had OC, post problems with Gigabyte)
i7-3820 CPU
MUSHKIN 16GB 2133MHz Quad Channel Kit 993997
SAMSUNG SSD series 840 pro 256g 2.5 sat3 (Very expensive, but an incredible increase in performance, if you use this for running your software, at the same time, keep a conventional disk read HD for storage).
GIGABYTE GTX 680 OC 4GB (just bought this & it's seriously fast, no probs as far as I know in Maya & Mudbox & runs really cool).

I already have a THERMALTAKE tough power 750w, NOCTUA 140 mm CPU cooling fan &
a THERMALTAKE ARMOR JR case.

Last edited by Mickolboy : 04-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #45
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread