CGTalk > Software > Compositing Software
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
garden city, USA
Question FUSION: Z-Depth ?

I use FUSION and I do have a simple 32bit.exr file which already includes the Z-Depth.
I only can see the Z-Channel if I click "Show Normalised Image" (right lower corner icon) of the viewport.

I know that this is only a preview and as soon as I uncheck the icon "Show Normalised Image" my Zdepth image is pure white.

I tried to add a color correction node to change the levels, but that has no impact at all.
Because of this, that my Zdepth is always one white solid image, I can not use it for Depth Blur or any other operation.

How can I change this ?
What do I have to do to make it work ?
What am I doing wrong ?
What do I forget ?
What do I not see here ?

Thank you so much for any little info.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
michael vorberg
digital compositor
stuttgart, Germany
your z channel is probaly right. as you said you rendered an exr file, this means it can store float data, which means it can handle colors bigger than one (where 1 is fully white)
so your z channel seems to be not normalized (not pushed into values between 0 and 1) which is not bad, rather good.

you should use your z depth normaly with the depth channel to "z" and use the pick focal point
or hover your mouse over the picture and see what z value it shows in the lower bar. then set this as you focal point
maybe you have to play with focal scale value to find a good looking blur (lets say a okay looking blur)

if really need a normalized z channel, then you have to use the channel boolean to "shuffle" your z channel to rgb. after that you can use any color correction you like. just set the gain value to 1/highest depth number in you frame.
or you could use the auto gain tool let fusion automagically make the normalisation, this works also an the z channel (just check the checkbox)
but the auto gain tool will calculate the normalisation for every frame, so it will flicker and give different results in a animation
Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread