RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Adobe Photoshop's CS6 3D Tools: what do you guys think?

I have been playing with Adobe's Photoshop new 3D tools I have been pleasantly surprised.

Mental Ray has nothing to worry about for the foreseeable future, but still it is impressive to see Adobe doing development in the 3D rendering area.

Tell us what do you guys think?

What has been your experience with it so far?

Looking forward to your comments and opinions.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

I use them a fair amount of the time Roberto. Painting direct on the object is easy enough if a bit clunky, and painting and tweaking textures is about as easy as it gets in Photoshop. The Goz back & forth from PS to other programs is a nice touch too.

Because my Dad shoots for newspapers, I got used to Photoshop long before I got interested in CG stuff, so maybe I'm a bit biased towards it. Others will have different experiences.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

I hate that Adobe keeps adding in 3D features. I want a streamlined, fast photoshop without all the 3D bloat.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Shadowlich
Blender Head
portfolio
Andrei Belean
USA

Hate adobe's new 3d paint, it lags so bad.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA

I have found it to be clunky, bloated and poorly implemented. If you have Zbrush/Mudbox/Mari etc., the 3D paint features in PS are fairly pointless IMO, and I have yet to find much of a use for anything outside of the 3D "postcard" layer. That feature is occasionally handy for some things, but even then it just prevents me from having to open After Effects. I wish they would stop trying and focus more attention on things like optimizing brush performance and making the program more "lean and mean". All of that being said, the graphic designers I work with go absolutely gaga over it (even though they have less than zero use for it lol) so I'm sure Adobe will still get enough positive response to continue doing it.

On a more positive note, if anyone has found a decent use for the features PLEASE post it here. I tend to work in somewhat of a vacuum so it would be interesting to hear how/if these features have changed someone else's workflows.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
StayFrosty
Veteran

portfolio
Jon Clayton
RealtimeUK
United Kingdom

I've only last week upgraded to CS6 but so far I really like it. I think the 3d is exactly what Crotalis said: something for Graphic Designers etc to get excited about, for my work it feels very much like an unneeded bit of bloat.

IMO their time would be better spent creating a decent sized colour picker palette that you could leave open while working; or a Curves dialogue that wasn't so fiddly and small; or better performing brushes; or a proper referencing system better than Smart Objects... ( I could go on but you get the idea!)

Mind you, this thread has made me realise that I've been using Photoshop for 18 years so I'm probably a bit stuck in my ways

Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
vlad74
Expert
portfolio
Vladimir Venkov
freelancer
East Grinstead, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFrosty
IMO their time would be better spent creating a decent sized colour picker palette that you could leave open while working; or a Curves dialogue that wasn't so fiddly and small; or better performing brushes; or a proper referencing system better than Smart Objects... ( I could go on but you get the idea!)

Very well said...

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Dirtvic
stuck in pixels

portfolio
Dushyant Bhardwaj
Texturing lighting
New Delhi, India

Imo:- I find photoshop cs6 fast with atleast 8 gb of ram or more and i think putting 3d features in photoshop is a loose step

Photoshop has its own market and is very good in it.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

From all I've seen of it in use, it seems good enough to paint yourself some markers in UV space to have entry points for when you start doing collage work in 2.5D mattes, and to get back objects back and forth to help for packaging shots.

It's ok for the main userbase of photoshop and what they would use 3D for, it's a completely pointless pile of bloat for anybody having access to practically ANY painting/sculpting/retopo (with UV functionalities) software out there.

I imagine you could be pleasantly surprised if... No, sorry, can't imagine how one would be pleasantly surprised by it.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

I used to use it for painting simple textures for low poly prop objects, but I've since found that the built in paint tools in Maya or BP in C4D work just as well for quick hard surface paint jobs.

I was working on a personal project a long time ago where I needed to paint several dozen low poly high rise buildings with unique textures. It was too difficult to get things lined up from painting on the flat UV maps, and I needed a more unique look than a procedural texture would give. The buildings were stolen from the google earth NYC model using OGLE, and they were full of little set backs and architectural features.

I imported objs that had about 4-6 buildings with non human readable UVs. I went into an ortho view, and copied and pasted the windows to fit each building, saved out the window layer, and then painted the base color.

I went with photoshop over another 3D paint program because it was easier to get the windows lined up before I projected them onto the mesh. I was also using XSI at the time, and that doesn't have a built in paint tool.

-AJ

Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

As mentioned several times already, I'm sure graphic designer types are mesmerised by a rotating .Obj that they can 'colour in' , but in this age of 3d painting features in practically all major apps and the likes of Mari, I can't understand why adobe concentrate on supplying these hopelessly outmatched features in an alien arena when it's already top of the food chain in XY space. Forget Z Adobe, stick to what you know.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread