Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #31
LightSovereign
A million gigs of light

portfolio
Marley Mcleay
Richmond/Nelson, New Zealand

Hi, and thank you for partaking in the ARTIST q&a. In your professional career, have you ever dealt with artistic block, and how do you work your way around such things. Im my case, sometimes its the initial concept stage that I realize I feel I have hit a concrete wall, despite me gathering inspiration. I imagine your line of work requires great discipline as with anything at film level.

Thanks for your time

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #32
Sallow
Black Feather

portfolio
PAUL GERRARD
CONCEPT ARTIST / MOVIE PRODUCER
GERRARDART
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightSovereign
Hi, and thank you for partaking in the ARTIST q&a. In your professional career, have you ever dealt with artistic block, and how do you work your way around such things. Im my case, sometimes its the initial concept stage that I realize I feel I have hit a concrete wall, despite me gathering inspiration. I imagine your line of work requires great discipline as with anything at film level.

Thanks for your time

Marley

Hi Marley, I learnt a long time ago that when it come to my personnal work. It comes when it comes, if I dont feel like doing an image I dont force it( ( otherwise it generally goes pear shaped) . I can go weeks without creating final art, months even. Concept art is very different, as is movie work. I dont have that massive emotional connection with the art, Im not trying to sort out inner conflicts or anything as overly compex. So I just have fun doing it. I have never come across a creative block in that field( yet ), as there is always so much to draw influence and inspiration from, you have film Directors pushing there vision, production director and so on.

A good tip, completely immerse yourself in your subject matter. The images around you, the music you play, the films you watch. I remember creating the HUD for a game I worked on years back, I made everything a tone of blue. Later I realised my desktop wallpaper was predominantly blue. Sounds crazy but the subconscious mind is a fickle little thing.

'This is not horror, this is undefined reality'

Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #33
pmdunnam
3d Environment Artist
portfolio
Michael Dunnam
Senior 3d Environment Artist
Meggitt Training Systems
Flowery Branch, US

Send a message via AIM to pmdunnam Send a message via MSN to pmdunnam
I must say congrats on working on Battle LA. I loved the film. Your work is stunning. Coming from a game background myself. I hope to eventually move over to the film industry. Once again fantastic work.

www.michaeldunnam.com
FREE CUSTOM ZBRUSH BRUSHES!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #34
nickv1212
portfolio
Nicholous Her
stockton, USA

Problems as an Artist

Hello Mr. Gerrard. I am a high school student studying jobs pertaining to art. I was wondering what your thoughts about being an artist are, any pros and cons, or any advice would be fine.

Thank you.

Nicholous Her

Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #35
LightSovereign
A million gigs of light

portfolio
Marley Mcleay
Richmond/Nelson, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallow
Hi Marley, I learnt a long time ago that when it come to my personnal work. It comes when it comes, if I dont feel like doing an image I dont force it( ( otherwise it generally goes pear shaped) . I can go weeks without creating final art, months even. Concept art is very different, as is movie work. I dont have that massive emotional connection with the art, Im not trying to sort out inner conflicts or anything as overly compex. So I just have fun doing it. I have never come across a creative block in that field( yet ), as there is always so much to draw influence and inspiration from, you have film Directors pushing there vision, production director and so on.

A good tip, completely immerse yourself in your subject matter. The images around you, the music you play, the films you watch. I remember creating the HUD for a game I worked on years back, I made everything a tone of blue. Later I realised my desktop wallpaper was predominantly blue. Sounds crazy but the subconscious mind is a fickle little thing.

That is a thoroughly good response actually, thank you very much.

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #36
DM613
portfolio
DM613
novus
hefei, USA

I have to admit it's quite annoying when 3 of those are in your face. Kinda hard to aim when your screen is full of blinking red dots. And in a dark map like that, you're a pretty easy target for snipers when your head is covered with those

Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #37
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread