Zbrush and Lightwave

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2003
Thanks a lot Southern, that's really clear

12 December 2003
I'm with Glen, actually it was him that put me onto it. ZBrush rocks. The interface is just like any new package, it takes a few days to get used to, but once you get it it's fine. Also the way ZBrush works is very different to other 3D packages, so it took me a couple of weeks off and on to break through the conceptual barrier of "oh that's how it works". Now, even though I haven't had much time on it, and only use a fraction of it's power, I feel very comfortable with using it for the areas that I know and constantly look forward to pushing my learning further to experiment with even more areas.

For the most part it integrates with LW very easily and going back and forth between packages (with the same model) is no problem. I think it rocks for 3D painting/texturing and recommend it highly just for this aspect, let alone all the other amazingly cool things it can do.

01 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by jmcalpin
Yeah, thanks.

hmm... bodypaint or zbrush, I guess it's like any software. You have to dedicate yourself to it to make it really fly so I just have to pick the one that is more my style. I'll have to download both to play with and see. Anyone know if multiple UV maps will be in the next version of zbrush, hell any of the new features. I remember threads for them ages ago but can't find what form they were in now?

Fink: I think Southern was just talking about his workflow. You could do it either way, inside LW or zbrush.

Jay

I have to interject here. I do not have the new beta so I do not know what fangled new fixxes are coming. But I do have to give truth.
Texture m 'does not' work like Body Paint. It freezes the model while you paint, so you cannot rotate the model while painting. This I find is very bad. And making textures wrap around the mesh this way is WAY to much work.
I so hope that the new version fixes this common feature. It would be nice if a beta user would comment on if this Texture feature is working really nice now, as thus far I refuse to anylonger call it a master of texture painting.

Please say it is better

01 January 2004
but i've watched pain tutorials of the head moving and have done it myself?

you sure you didn't collapse teh 3d object into the background to be part of a painting.

my hardest problem with zbrush that it has two modes and i can start up in the paint mode but not get into the 3d section to do things. one wrong turn and your 3d object could be turned into 2.5d paint, which is not good.

I'll try again soon and see if my experience is the same.

Jay

01 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by jmcalpin
but i've watched pain tutorials of the head moving and have done it myself?

you sure you didn't collapse teh 3d object into the background to be part of a painting.

my hardest problem with zbrush that it has two modes and i can start up in the paint mode but not get into the 3d section to do things. one wrong turn and your 3d object could be turned into 2.5d paint, which is not good.

I'll try again soon and see if my experience is the same.

Jay

The texture M script drops the model down as a 2.5 object so then you paint on a virtual plane that when you press pick it drops that plane of paint on to the mesh . So no you can not paint in 3d just 2,5d

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread