between meetings

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Markus Manninen
Visual Effects Supervisor
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackmage
Hello, Total congrats on the film i loved it!

i've been putting my work on the internet for a while now. And my question is, do you think having a web site or profile on a website a good way to get into the industry faster? like if your work is well known over a period of time until your ready to find a job?

Thanks!!
I think having a website that makes you appealing will help once someone is looking for you on the web, yes.

If you aren't connecting in another way to people to make them look at your website, well, then you actually have to treat your website as a broadcast channel, and somehow try to get people in the industry to view it. Or even harder, get an audience to "tune in" once in a while. That takes a lot of hard work.

If you are able to it may be a great way to start. The true potential of the "net" as a broadcast entity is still in it's infancy.

Quote:
i also have one more question, my teachers always suggest going to an actual collage, rather than a technical collage like Full Sail. personally from what i've heard you only need a collage degree if its required or you want to teach. but in your opinion, does going to a technical collage hinder your progress to move forward in the industry?

Hm. Sorry, I am not sure I am completely aware of the differences, being from Europe.
I suppose I can say that except for maybe 20-25 universities or higher education institutions that we have some type of relationship with, most people actually come from educations we know very little about, and their true capacity is shown through the work they put in reels and portfolios, whether it's artistic or technical.

Quote:
and lastly, what where some of your first job interviews like? or what was the progress of getting your first job?

thanks ahead of time...

Oh. I am not sure I have good answers for this. My first real interview in the business was after having worked for several years as a freelance artist and even had my own micro-studio. At that point I was asked to come visit some of my friends at a traditional animation studio to help them advance their computer graphics capability for a series of commercials.

So they already knew what I did, and I showed them some of the work in progress I was doing, and then I sat down and started doing work. Very casual.

Since then I've had more formal interviews with Framestore and Dreamworks, but at that point the companies knew what I did and it wasn't as much of an unknown. It creates a different dynamic. Sorry. Can't be more helpful.

My opinions are my own, not those of my employer

Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #47
MarkusM
between meetings

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Markus Manninen
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfy1977
Hi Markus,
congrats on your succuss with the movie,....i am surprised the way you guys have handeld the fur for panda itz so simple and looks cool...i have a problem with fur which i would like to ask you we are using 3dmax for our project and while rendering hair of the charecter we are geting flickering frames in between and as for the fur on animal it dosent have any depth ,......so i would like to know your expert advice on it,...once again kungfu panda rocks...

If we spoke to Wes Burian, Surfacing Supervisor, he would say that this is some of the hardest stuff he's done creatively in his career. And he's done both photoreal at Tippett and some pretty wacky stylized stuff with us in his past.

I know Wes will put together a presentation at SIGGRAPH, but basically creating that plushed toy, with a hint of naturalism - using the break up of length and direction, with stylistic details - well the look is anything but simple.

I suppose that is the brilliance of the look of the film. Rich but not distracting.

I am not sure how to answer the question without seeing something. I am also not a 3DS Max expert.

The flickering could be that the fur assignment isn't "locked", i.e. the fur placement on the surface of the character is basically being re-evaluated every frame. This is very problematic. You need to look into those settings in your fur shader.

Back in the day, there used to be a bug that re-evaluated the placement when you started a render, but if you rendered your images on a single machines straight through the UI the render would work. But that was mid 90's type of stuff.

The depth aspect... is it that the hair looks thin, or simply doesn't detail?
The thin problem can be taken care by using a dense shorter fur layer and then adding longer less dense and more break up. Remember to design the length to create areas of visual interest that "describe" the design you are trying to present.

The detail problem can be how you are shadowing your fur. You need to get inter-shadowing of the fur to bring out the detail. That together with fur color changes, between fur strands and over the length of the fur, makes all the difference. Of course the real expert we should ask is Wes.

You may need different density settings for different "resolutions", close up or far away.

Last edited by MarkusM : 06-24-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #48
maheshgore
portfolio
mahesh
hyderabad animations pvt ltd
hyderabad, India

hi markus,
thanks for sharing your experience n knowledge u r definately doing a great help to we artists to improve in our work, u r a great inspiration to us(u all guys at pixar n dreamworks) i have around 8 years of exp in only 2d animation and rightnow i am leading a team of 5 3d artists we are working on a 3d shortfilm project i dont have any 3d experince as such these artists know the tools n they extreamly passionate dedicated for their work, i look after the look of the project design,animation and everything we are facing some technical problems in terma of rigging n dinamics...dont mind but if you can give us your email id so that we can get back to you with our detailed questions, me personaly i am not aware of the 3d terms so i cant ask you anything rightnow i will have to sit with my team n send you the questions. presently we are able to achive a basic quality but we are amining at out put like pixar or dreamworks (u must b thinking with so small team how can we achive that quality but we have infra and the passion to do the quality work) since u r working with them you can help us out....in india here work quality is not that great or satisfaying and the expert guidence is also not there..i hope you can understand me....so if possible, think how can u guide us.
thanks mahesh

Last edited by maheshgore : 06-27-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #49
ViCoX
Coffee.

portfolio
Juhani Karlsson
3D artist
Talvi Digital
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to ViCoX
Hi Markus. : )

Hi, First off! Your name sounds SO finnish, do you have finnish parents? = D I know one finnish director named Vesa Manninen. : )
So my queston, did you actually try to get that high position or did the job just naturally fall to you. I`m still quite young 19, actually and done 3d as an professional now soon 2 years. I would offcourse be interested in same level of career as you have, but I don`t know how to approach it. : /
You know, I have just done my stuff and always job just falls for me, but now I`m stuck. I`m in really good position here, but still I think I have so much to learn abroad. So the question is -> How should I approach such jobs? Is it just all about the reel and previous jobs?
I`m glad that you have started your career from sweden, its close to finland so maybe I still have some hope : ) Thanks!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #50
MarkusM
between meetings

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Markus Manninen
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCoX
Hi, First off! Your name sounds SO finnish, do you have finnish parents? = D I know one finnish director named Vesa Manninen. : )
So my queston, did you actually try to get that high position or did the job just naturally fall to you. I`m still quite young 19, actually and done 3d as an professional now soon 2 years. I would offcourse be interested in same level of career as you have, but I don`t know how to approach it. : /
You know, I have just done my stuff and always job just falls for me, but now I`m stuck. I`m in really good position here, but still I think I have so much to learn abroad. So the question is -> How should I approach such jobs? Is it just all about the reel and previous jobs?
I`m glad that you have started your career from sweden, its close to finland so maybe I still have some hope : ) Thanks!

Hi, and your family name is very Swedish. My parents are both from Finland, and I grew up in Stockholm.

It's almost impossible to tell you how to get ahead. It's very subjective, it's very much dependent on your situtation, the company you are or can work for, and you, your talent, your leadership ability. All I can really do is generalize and clue you in on some of the things I did I suppose.

First of all, treat your current job like it's already your next job. Work hard. Bring excitement to it. Basically do such a good job that it seems silly to only have you do that job alone. Make yourself such a key element where you are that they don't want to lose you. If you get there, then the company, or another company will want to give you the opportunity to excel.

If you do "get stuck" in a position where there isn't an avenue "forward" to where you want to develop long term, then you do need to "make some luck happen". Work on side projects to show what you can do. Send a reel, or go visit, a company that you would really want to work for. If you do send a reel, don't just send a reel. Make sure the reel has something that will excite the company, make them feel that you can be an asset.

I've seen too many artist who believe that a company is lucky to have them. It's really the opposite many times. It's the artist job to make the company excited to have them. To then also want to fully utilize the talent.

THis is all part of being ambitious. There's a quote in acting "there are no small roles, just small actors". I think it's a little similar. You have to be ambitious at all times. Always wanting, needing, to do your best work. Elevating what you do and what you deliver. It will make you look good, but sometimes more importantly, it will inspire people around you to step up as well. Making the whole even greater.

I do think that working in one of the "larger markets" where some of the best work takes place does elevate people (if they are willing to learn). I brought with me some of the most talented people I knew from Sweden to London, and they were great to begin with, but they were awesome after a few years having gotten to exercise the muscle to learn, be pushed to do new things, to solve new problems, and to deliver the highest quality work. That lead to all of them having new opportunities else where. I am very proud of all of them and their work.

One of the key aspects that our business forgets is creative leadership. Learning how to recognize talent, use the talent in a group situation, and create an evironment where the sum is greater than the pieces is not trivial. One reason for staying at companies for a while (except for the fact that companies get nervous if you don't seem to be able to stay anywhere) is that you want to get the opportunity to exercise, learn and follow through on leadership opportunities. Starting small and building. It's invaluable later on.

You are young. I didn't go abroad until I was... well... 29 I think. I've been working in the industry for, erhm, 16 years or so. But, and this is a big but, I benefitted from the last aspect greatly - great timing. I was at the right place at the right time, with the right skills, and a company that needed to grow. Twice. But your ambition will need to take you to that place. To create your own luck.

I am not sure this was helpful at all.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #51
animatorboi
Veteran
portfolio
fadi adam
3d max and maya
Doha, Qatar

Send a message via Yahoo to animatorboi
hello sir

i am fadi i called my self animator boi i though the animation field is not that good for me i am tryin my best to be the best so i so impressed with u panda u made is just beauitful work
as in u have studio well i need a project i can be known as u sir just see my work as i m freelance now i got no job ..also see my CV in my profile
thanking you sir
i remember me frnd of mine told me i fi i wanna be the best i got work with best ..
looking forward to heart form u sir

Old 07-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #52
meathead
meathead

portfolio
Chris Leathers
3D Artist
www.massdlm.com
Brooklyn, USA

Great Animation

Hello Markus,

I am a big fan of the film. The colors, the world it takes place in. The mix of matte paintings and characters, the ducks and rabbits. My two year old daughter found the trailers one day and became instantly addicted, waking up every morning saying Panda, Panda and pointing at the computer.. I have seen parts of the movie atleast fifty times over.. "you are free to eat, AM I, Are you!!!" I have been reading this forum about all your advice. Abviously you have a lot ot offer. it's great..

The last post, about why and how to work for companies is really relevant for me. I was just able to be the 3D Supervisor on a Nickelodeon cartoon series, mostly environment art, and it was a mix of great fun, and really taxing emotional/interpersonal strain.. But it definitelly lets you know what your strengths and weaknesses are. All of what you say above applies to it, so I apprecaite reading your advice and I will read it some more. If you are inspired and feel generous, my portfolio on this forum has Environment images from the show. The show is Speed Racer. Next Generation. I dont know if it will exactelly make some luck. But it is worth a try.

Thanks, and thanks for the Awesome movie, I will be watching it for years, and I hope you stay heavilly involved with the sequils and make those un-imaginally good as well!!

Thanks,

Chris

PS - Your levis spot is really great to.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #53
xxbinxx
Most Wanted

portfolio
Nguyen Manh Hung
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Send a message via ICQ to xxbinxx Send a message via AIM to xxbinxx Send a message via MSN to xxbinxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxbinxx
Hi Markus
I have just watched the Po's story with my wife and we had a so great and Funny time with the movie . Just wanna say thank you for Great movie

Old 07-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #54
animatorboi
Veteran
portfolio
fadi adam
3d max and maya
Doha, Qatar

hi markus

i was wondering why did u chose the animal panda why did't chose some othe animal like white tagir or white monky perphas any othe animal which is really hard to find and only a few are aviable

Old 07-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #55
animatorboi
Veteran
portfolio
fadi adam
3d max and maya
Doha, Qatar

i would like to say

thank so much for the awesome movie and also thank for the all people who workin int texturing and rigging and eniverments lighting is alot of work i knw that will take alot offered really thank for all of them ..

Old 07-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #56
mallik
portfolio
MALLIK
MUMBAI, India

HI MARKUS,
I'm Really happy on your success.
may god bless you to get more n more good projects'

ur,
mallik

Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #57
Jeremydjutras
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeremy Jutras
Animator
Orlando, USA

Talking !

Wow, cool stuff

Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #58
MarkusM
between meetings

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Markus Manninen
Los Angeles, USA

Hey, thank you everyone. There are some sporadic questions that may or may not be able/allowed to answer. The panda came with the original concept, together with the furious five, Shifu, Tai Lung and Oogway.

If you have any additional questions keep them coming while you have the chance.

Markus

Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #59
MusaX
Musa
Sakarya, Turkey

Hi Markus

Hello Markus.My name is Musa YİĞİT.I am from TURKEY.I came new 3d business.I am you to become like for working.My imaginary DreamWork,Pixar,20th century,Walt Disney working.You are with more speak want.Thank you....

Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #60
PaulHellard
Writer/Editor/Bloke

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Paul Hellard
Fmr Editor, CGSociety
Hellard Media
Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via ICQ to PaulHellard Send a message via MSN to PaulHellard Send a message via Yahoo to PaulHellard
Time gentlemen

Thanks Markus for your sterling effort and the crew of Kung Fu Panda. It will surely become a classic. Thank you so much everyone for your questions. A solid round of applause for Markus Manninen, for answering the incoming questions for such an extended time; over a month.

Closing the thread now.

Thread Closed share thread