Joakim Hammarslätt - 3D sketch thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

4 Weeks Ago
Now I've worked out the legs, and tightened up the gloves. The proportions felt a bit funny, and upon inspecting how well tailored the suit was, it became evident that he had a lot of wiggle room in the gloves. 

The legs are not necessarily meant to draw a lot of focus, which is why I left them pretty basic. Also gives a place to rest, and I believe they'll fit in better with the character once the outer-wordly plate materials are put in place. I'd love to catch some feedback on them though. If they feel way too basic, I can perhaps add a little flare, but when I tried a pattern design similar to the vambrace on the greaves, it simply looked strange. 

Now it's time to clean up the helmet, redo parts of the sword belt, add a sheath for a dagger and work on the primary weapon! 

4 Weeks Ago
Woo!! The armor is excellent and the model as well. I can't wait to see the finish, but im loving more the progress. Its like watching a movie to me.

4 Weeks Ago
I appreciate the kind words Whym! 

The HP helm is more or less done, and I'm currently working on the primary weapon. You'll all get another update once I have the weapon(s) in in a more presentante state! 

4 Weeks Ago
More updates! 

The helmet just needed a bit of clean-up, and was worked through fairly quickly. Probably just a few hours. Still has a few open surfaces, but I'm considering filling them with some knightly masking patterns. 

The sword is more or less a space Montante / Spadone / Bidenhänder. The way I find myself working these things out is by firstly modeling a few iterations of the historcal items. Then I'll browse pinterest and google for sci-fi designs. Once I find something I like, I'll try and incorporate it into the historical model, and jump around, exploring shapes. 

So now I'm fairly happy with the sci-fi-ness of the sword. It's got a little of magnetism / metal manipulation, and laser / energy stuff attached to it. Now It's just time to refine sharpness, and take it from clean blobs into something more interesting. 

I suppose the final thing is to fix the swordbelt for his katzbalger, and space-rondell-dagger. 

A part of me also considers giving him a poleaxe, since that's more of a knight's weapon than a greatsword is, but  we'll see. I'm pretty fond of the big sword. 

3 Weeks Ago
Maybe it's time to remind everyone that I'm still alive...

It's a bit silent from my part primarily because I'm busy researching stuff for my materials, and learning how to properly set up various materials in UE4. 

There was also some concepting done for his hair / head tendrils, but in the end I decided to keep him bald and throw a cowl ontop of it. I felt that if I went for braided hair, I was going dangerously close into Protoss territory, and with partially slimy, and partially translucent tendrils for hair I knew that was going to require more headaches in the shader creation, in addition to having to resculpt the head in order to connect them. 

I've also been creating some etchings, and capes. The image(s) are a bit low in quality, but that's because the scene is currently at 90mil polygons, and my comp runs out of memory and decides not to collaborate if I try and BPR the scene. 

3 Weeks Ago
Wow that detail work is pretty amazing! 

3 Weeks Ago
Thank you! Chech out Daniel Hopfer if you want to find the guy whose work I borrowed for my alphas. He's been dead for about 500 years so I hope he won't sue. 

1 Day Ago
Yo peeps. It's finally time to begin texturing my alien knight, and I was hoping to collect some general feedback. So far I've only used the "Shiny brushed steel", and "Brass" presets in Quixel. Followed by some oil in the cavities. So if you have suggestions for an entirely different metal process, I'd love to hear it! 

The entire model currently sits at just below 14k tris. 

The Leather is  also default, with a base color and a lighter/desaturated color masked to the edges. 

The blue wavy stuff and the crystals will primarily be worked and lit in UE4. I intend to play around with some water/liquid materials and emissive light. So those can be disregarded for now. 

The gloves will need to be fixed a little, since their AO seems to have gone awry. (1 bright spot, with the rest being too dark). 

Lastly the hood doesn't seem to be workable at all. So I'll have to figure out why. Its UVs are imported, but no texture sticks to it. 

I'll also attach my primary armor for colour reference. It's from Henry VIIII, and any pointers to receiving the same deep blue in a PBR-correct fashion in UE4 would be great! 

reply share thread