game or film rigging

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2017
game or film rigging

Hi all....quick question....
looking at the 'Rigging for Games' course here but, what's the difference between rigging for film / production vs games and is the difference large enough to warrant taking the course.
thanks,
Joe

03 March 2017
There are deformers used in films which can't be used in games, for example muscle deformers, delta mush, lattice or any non-linear deformer.

I haven't work on any high end VFX film but I know there's a lot of shot sculpting after animation, in other words sometimes a good volume-preserving rig is good enough for films and then you can add PSDs and finish with shot sculpting.

Games rigs use joints to deform the vertices and it's possible to drive 'fixer'/'volume'/'corrective' joints to maintain volume in areas like shoulders, hips, elbow, wrists, knees, etc. and use things like ribbons or spine IK to maintain volume when twisting.

So a good games rig can get you very close to an acceptable first pass of a film rig.

At Axis we use joints, fixer joints, some PSDs for hero characters and shot sculpting if a character is in an extreme, uncommon pose where it makes more sense to just update the mesh in that scene rather than the rig for that and every other scene. The joint chain for the rigs looks similar to 00:20: https://vimeo.com/210474580

I had a look at the Rigging for Games course, you only have one week focusing on rigging with a week of python to automate the rigging and a week of skinning, the rest is about game engine stuff which isn't necessary if you just want to learn rigging. From reading the course outline, I would recommend Rigging Techniques: Cartoon to Realistic instead, it's solely focused on rigging and it looks like it's useful in games, cinematics, animation and VFX.

reply share thread