Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Dave Marsh

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2007
Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Dave Marsh

Dave Marsh is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Don't Mess With My Tutu

06 June 2007
Had an idea last night of several lithe, petite ballet dancers warming up in a studio; doing that bar thing they're always doing. The twist is that the main ballerina is in fact a 50 year old man. A big, muscley, slightly overweight, hairy, real mans man. In a tutu.

In fact, in my mind the character looks like my dad! This image makes me want to both laugh and cry at the same time. It certainly constitutes strange behaviour.

I'll get a sketch knocked up sometime today.

Excited about this one.

Last edited by pseudonympending : 06 June 2007 at 07:43 AM.

06 June 2007
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: 3d pre-viz

Here's a quick pre-viz of my initial idea.

The pink girls in the back are your regular, slim, elegant ballerinas. The red character is the teacher.

The blue monstrosity in the front is a 50 year old, hairy, male ballet dancer, dressed in a girls ballet outfit(including tutu) and performing a pirouette (or something).

The teacher is clasping her heart in an 'ever so proud' fashion - despite this guy looking more at home down a mine he's actually been doing ballet for a while and is in fact the star pupil (at least in the eyes of the frumpy, eccentric teacher that is).

The other pupils in the class will be looking on with a mixture of amusement, disgust, and pure confusion.

Pretty sure that ticks the box for strange behavior. What even more strange is that I'm really excited about modeling a 50 year old man in a tutu...

06 June 2007
Very nice concept.. i love your work david and i am sure this one wont disappoint anyone..

My online portfolio

06 June 2007
thats very nice,i like the idea already

06 June 2007
it will be interesting I think good luck !

06 June 2007
Thanks guys,

I read once that you should never go with your first idea...

But hey, the feedback is positive and I can't think of anything else that makes me chuckle as much, therefore I'm gonna run with it.

Anyone seen 'Old School' with Will Ferrel? There's a hilarious scene in it where he has to pass a gym exam by prancing around with one of those with one of those bits of ribbon on stick things - pure comedy and pretty much where I'm coming from with this.

Have already made good pregress modelling the old dudes head. Will post shortly.

Cheers,
Dave

06 June 2007
Line Art or Model: Old Guy Head

The scariest ballerina you ever saw... :-)

06 June 2007
Line Art or Model: Ballerina...

Here's the textured head. Modeled in Max, rendered with Vray. I'm pleased with how this has turned out.

I've based the model on my dad - at 6ft 2 and 18 stone, Darcy Bussel he ain't... His neck alone is probably the size of a whole ballerina. Perfect.

I'll add proper eyelashes, eyebrows and hair soon. Also looking forward to playing with the spec map and making him sweat...

06 June 2007
wow

Nice man, that is really top notch work.

06 June 2007
Simply crazy! This is heading to be one of the most hilarious images of this contest, I'm sure about it. Maybe some other ballerina at the background trying to make the same pose as him(and not getting, of course! rs) could make it even stranger... Don't know, it's great anyway!

Very nice(and fast!) modeling also.

Watching this.

06 June 2007
Originally Posted by Anubis3D: Very nice(and fast!) modeling also.

+1

06 June 2007
Cheers guys,

Quote: Very nice(and fast!) modeling also.

Not so fast when I tell you I've been virtually flat out on this since yesterday lunch time. Still, I have to admit I am happy with how smoothly it has come together.

I've been working on a female character over the last few weeks and for some reason I find males far easier - probably becasue thay are free of the necessity to look attractive.

Recently I've been rendering with Mental Ray but decided to give VRay a try and was impressed how quickly I could knock this up. I am 100% converted.

Thanks for the posts,
Dave

06 June 2007
nice render dude....sure you didnt use a modle from before??? lol JK

if i were you i wouldnt change the expression one bit...

he looks serious calm but happy...like hes proud of what hes doing,knows hes the best.knows hes being watched but thats all ok...hes not egotistical h just knows hes doing what hes been born to do...lol

looking forward to more...esp at tis pace...

CYB

06 June 2007
Relax man, you make us all look lazy.

Fantastic. Really rocks.

Thread Closed share thread