Painting Tools

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2017
Painting Tools

Looks like my painting tools will still be useful for another year.

I have started doing a daily sculpt and paint using these tools: Daily Sculpt and Paint You Tube Channel

Here is the full workflow for the Old Man. Some videos are full videos, others are speed sculpt/paints. Disclaimer... I am not a great artist. So I write tools to help me create better art.

In the videos I am mostly demonstrating the sculpting based Symmetrical painting tools (Paint Brush) but there is also another brush called (Paint Brush Standard) for people who don't have the sculpting tools. This second brush doesn't have symmetry (yet) but it can still paint images directly down onto BodyPaint layers as well.

If you wish to purchase them then all you need is the 4D Publish Basic edition. A comparison chart can be found here.

https://www.4dpublish.com/paint-brushes
https://www.4dpublish.com/paint-brush-tutorials/

If you like these crazy sculpted and painted things then you can see more of them on my instagram.

Cheers,
Kent

Last edited by kbar : 08 August 2017 at 10:21 PM.

08 August 2017
Loving this, Kent! I can totally see making use of what you are showing in my own work.

I suspect throwing in some c4d hair would really take this to yet another level...not only with visual realism but also the hair would provide more parallax when moving around the model.

And I'm sure it's with special satisfaction for you to play a bit with this, since you were principle developer of the sculpting tools for Maxon and then more recently with the release of the awesome4D Publish tools.

Don't have too much fun...we don't want to lose you as a programmer, LOL!

One question for you....or others...I wonder how hard it would be to take the darker values from the luma of the man's skin (and elephant hide) and use that for some added micro-displacement.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 08 August 2017 at 06:33 AM.

08 August 2017
Thanks Craig.

I started adding hair to a few of the early ones but my hair skills are not great right now. I need to work out how to get accurate collisions so the hair falls down on the face correctly. The color can be driven by a texture map and also the placement can be driven by textures as well, so it will be fun to paint on these attributes (and others) once I have the workflow sorted out.

Yeah it is pretty fun. Making these tools for 8 years and now finally decided to start working daily with them. Will get back to dev soon since as I am doing this new ideas come to help improve the workflows, in-fact I have already added in a few new features that will come in the next update for 4D Publish.

As for extracting data from maps, that is something I am definitely thinking about. Extracting depth from the images and using that to apply actual sculpting detail on a layer. Removing shadows from maps automatically, getting specular from the map, etc... all sorts of things can be done. Just need to find the time and resources so I can work on it.

Have fun sculpting and painting! Any questions about any of it then just ask.

reply share thread