How do you offset the wavetank in a moving ocean flat tank sim?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 03 March 2017   #1
How do you offset the wavetank in a moving ocean flat tank sim to minimize particles?

Quick question...Is there any way to move the wavetank so that the boat in my simulation is closer to the front of the box and leaving more space for the wake to trail behind, thus eliminating the wasted particles at the front of the box? Right now the channel is green on that axis and when I break that connection my boat and sim are no longer moving together.

Thanks so much for anyone that takes the time to answer this.

Old 03 March 2017   #2
if your 'puter explodes....don't blame me...I'm just a noob....

Old 03 March 2017   #3
better way here I think...

Old 03 March 2017   #4
Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to post the videos... I understand how to move the object within the box, I was just having trouble with offsetting the object within the wavetank in a moving, guided simulation. When I would break the channel to the "center" parameter... the tank no longer followed my moving object. Someone on the sidefx forum gave me this expression to plug into the field which maintained the relationship of the follow object to the tank.

0.2 + centroid("../mergefollow", D_X)
-0.5 + centroid("../mergefollow", D_Z)

which will offset the container 0.2 units in X and -0.5 units in Z from the centroid of the tracking object.

Thanks again and maybe this can help someone else. By moving the object within the tank, you can get rid of the wasted particles in front of it (think moving boat) and get a longer wake trail in effect.

Cheers!

Old 03 March 2017   #5
well did you see the 2nd video above ?

Old 03 March 2017   #6
Yes, I just re-watched it with a better connection. I was on the road when I checked it the first time and my connection was slow so I couldn't see that you plugged that in with the low resolution. Anyways, thanks again! It works perfectly!

Old 03 March 2017   #7
no worries..as said..I'm a bloody noob myself..so will post more crap than quality from time to time I guess

I go to odforce site more often...but someone's gotta keep things going a bit here...

cheers.

Old 03 March 2017   #8
Haha I just registered over there on that forum a few hours ago. Good stuff. Yeah, there's so few Houdini threads here that I was skeptical that anyone would reply but you came through.

reply share thread