rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

Cineman, Renderman and C4D

I have just been invited very generously to try out Renderman with C4D so I jumped at the chance.

However on trying to work out how to get started, by looking around the web and reading the manual it seems that there is a distinct lack of information about this. Unlike Vray which has a vibrant community and which meshes with C4D fantastically well, the dearth of info on Renderman is palpable.

So I hope someone can shed some light on the issue. For instance how do I turn on Global Illumination? It says attach a Renderman tag to the Camera object but can I find one! All I have is the RIB exporters, 2 tags in all.

Also material creation seems like a black art, and massively shows it's age when compared to the ease of say Substance Designer, and let's face it the existing material editor in C4D.

Perhaps Renderman isn't aimed at me, but I would have liked to try it out, without hitting this brick wall. The depth of field and Motion blur is extremely fast, for one thing. But of course the distinct lack of any usable tutorials, ( ones which don't look like white papers from Siggraph circa 1995) makes it very hard to get going.

I know it's heresy on the C4D forum but I have to say I am finding Modo's renderer and ease of material creation very liberating, compared to C4D. Initially I found it dumbfounding but the logic of it is hard to argue with once you get over the hump

all the best

Richard

Old 05-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Renderman is definitely not aimed at the single artist. It is a pipeline tool and it shows. From what i see and hear it is less important in pipelines nowadays than it was 5 or more years ago.
Regardless, you can't compare setting up renderman materials. lighting etc. with C4Ds own materials or Modo or any other of the more modern rendering solutions.
If you aren't working in a pipeline that utilizes RM i wouldn't bother with it.
Having said that, James Kaufeldt won first price in the Eon Challenge here on CG Society for a beautiful short animation he rendered using Cineman. Check it out, i love that piece.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
ilay
Lord of the posts
Ilay
Engineer
Kazakhstan

Most of things changed. Need make own helper for renderer. For example, new Physically Plausible Shading in air, 3delight. and of course pixar renderman. New attributes and options, several options need to remove. Cineman is too old...

Quote:
Also material creation seems like a black art, and massively shows it's age when compared to the ease of say Substance Designer, and let's face it the existing material editor in C4D.

Hm, something are not true. Currently developers simplify process of it. Look at http://sitexgraphics.com - it has the new standalone Air Material Editor. It's very simple, also it has node based editor Vshade

Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Cineman is pretty unique in how well it supports cinema default material system. So that alone is somewhat handier than other prman integrations for other apps. That said if you want to push your shading then yes you will need to either write them or as most people would do,use one of the dozens of tools out there for generating shaders. You hen read these shaders into cinema and have control over parameters that are set up as input variables.

Cineman is seriously out of date and while an impressive version 1 sadly was sort of left at that. Understandably so really as cinemas overall user awe isn't really a match for render and userbase.

Things like GI, and SSS are going to be awesome but much more complicated to utilize.learning to how utilize delayed read archives, point clouds and generating toppings and rivolumes etc are going to require manual work and knowledge of renderman at a basic coding level with the riSpec.

At this point really if you wanted to use prman I'd consider katana and prman as a combo but again your still going to need someone advanced in your pipeline famille with coding to really integrate katana into your pipe.

Stick with Vray, or consider Arnold as a nice in between with more of the power of prman and scalability of prman but closer to the simplicity of commercial renderers.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for the great replies guys. Kind of as I thought.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
ilay
Lord of the posts
Ilay
Engineer
Kazakhstan

I'm interesting if cineman will be support new pixar rms 19(20) especially mentioned in non-comerc.version's faq - http://renderman.pixar.com/view/DP25849
Can anybody from public maxon stuff tell about it?

I mean updated gui for rms, new types reyes/ris, anything new data-types and etc.

Last edited by ilay : 11-23-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
jojo1975
Expert

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Giorgio Luciano
Modeller ;)
giorgioluciano.it
Genova, Italy

I hope that Maxon will get interested in the new version of renderman. Since now you have a very strong maya integration, but they suggest also C4d. It can be really a game changing also that for example 3dsmax seems in decline (I used it for 10 years but I guess it's time to move on).
I really love the easyness of c4d and combined with renderman can boost its share market in my opinion. Maya intergration (from the video seen) looks seamless and not at all cumbersome. I guess that renderman now will become a change also for freelancer or small team.
My two cents, I will be glad to hear too from Maxon !

Old 11-24-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
ceen
PRO
portfolio
Frankfurt, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo1975
I hope that Maxon will get interested in the new version of renderman. Since now you have a very strong maya integration, but they suggest also C4d. It can be really a game changing also that for example 3dsmax seems in decline (I used it for 10 years but I guess it's time to move on).
I really love the easyness of c4d and combined with renderman can boost its share market in my opinion. Maya intergration (from the video seen) looks seamless and not at all cumbersome. I guess that renderman now will become a change also for freelancer or small team.
My two cents, I will be glad to hear too from Maxon !

I fear it would be a waste of resources that need to be better invested in other areas in C4D development since most users move to Vray, Arnold and Octane anyways. Especially Octane seems to be getting really strong these days and will most likely challenge Vray as number one third party renderer in the near future (it feels like a lot C4D artists around here are testing the Octane pipeline currently).

Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

I'm on the list for the free version of Renderman which will be released next year, I got an email from them the other day saying that they are working on new training material to coincide with the launch of the free version. May be worth holding on for that. I wouldn't write-off RM just yet considering the free version and reduced price are bound to increase its' userbase soon.

Cheers,
Brian

reply share thread