portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead

when worlds collide

soylent green

I have checked these films out again recently.

When Worlds Collide is rather enjoyable. The scene where the rich guy is denied entry to the rocket he financed and finds the strength to stand and almost makes it to the boarding ramp. Poor guy.
I always think of the Simpsons spoof of this movie.

In Soylent Green someone is playing an arcade game at the start -they mention it being a space-themed shoot em up game.

I love the Edward G Robinson death scene-it really conveys the horror of what is lost with Charlton Heston mortified since he had never seen anything like what is shown on the screen.
I cant imagine what they could do to modernize that. Holograms?

Since others are getting into the 70s

Gargoyles the tv movie with Stan Winston creatures could benefit from modern fx(although they arent bad

Sssssss --human snake hybrids

the Mutations -human-plant hybrids (also the scientist predicts to his students that dinosaurs will be cloned within ten years--this was 1974--he wasnt wrong--Carnosaur was published exactly ten years later)

The design links of Silent Running to Star Wars are pretty obvious (Heuy, Luey and Dewey) but Logan's Run which must have been in production parallel to Star Wars appears to demonstrate synchronicity. The masks of the Carrousel victims have a machine stylized skull face that reminds me of both a Storm Trooper and Darth Vader combined.
I saw Logan's Run before Star Wars and remember those masks leaving an impression.

And Box.

The Ultimate Warrior was the most boring dystopian film of the 70s I have seen thus far. The bad guy is named Carrot. I dont think a remake could help it.

Maybe Saturn 3?
I havent seen it in ages though-I remember the robot.

That reminds me of the Final Countdown-about a modern aircraft carrier going back to 1941 in time to stop Pearl Harbor. I always forget about this film.

Last edited by kelgy : 09-17-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #77
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy

I love the Edward G Robinson death scene-it really conveys the horror of what is lost with Charlton Heston mortified since he had never seen anything like what is shown on the screen.
I cant imagine what they could do to modernize that. Holograms?
(although they arent bad

That scene had a powerful effect on me for many years. I re-watched the movie about a year ago and thought it held up very well. The dynamic of the lower-class cop having to interact with the upper social classes was interesting. As for the urban blight and intense class warfare, it seems like a logical progression of where things are headed even today.

Quote:
Maybe Saturn 3?
I havent seen it in ages though-I remember the robot.

I remember the excitement of seeing this in the theater and then being sooo let down by it being so awful. Not sure it's worth a remake. It's basically Shakespeare's The Tempest, the same story a couple Star Trek episodes and Forbidden Planet were based on.

Quote:
That reminds me of the Final Countdown-about a modern aircraft carrier going back to 1941 in time to stop Pearl Harbor. I always forget about this film.

I also remember seeing this in the theater and loving it. It's cheesy as hell now, but an update could work if it were done with, you know, an actual budget.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #78
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

First.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #79
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
When I was a kid one of my favorite flick was the
The Valley Of Gwangi

The idea of Cowboys and dinosaurs sounds really cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPaUdWkGKa8

This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #80
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
When I was a kid one of my favorite flick was the
The Valley Of Gwangi

I almost mentioned this in my first response to the thread--then thought about Clash of the Titans and got depressed.
Still, I think there should be an encounter between a dinosaur and a steam locomotive.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #81
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Quote:
I almost mentioned this in my first response to the thread--then thought about Clash of the Titans and got depressed.
Still, I think there should be an encounter between a dinosaur and a steam locomotive.

The problem with flicks like the remake of Clash of the Titans is that it takes itself a bit too seriously.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #82
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread