Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #61
Celshader
Python Person

Jennifer Lynn Hachigian
CGFX/Pipeline
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve
Should they start giving awards for best janitorial efforts as well?

There comes a point where you have to draw the line.

The janitors who clean up after us have the SEIU to protect them with health benefits and pensions for their retirement.

Unlike janitors, the VFX artists who generate billion$ in box office do not collectively bargain their contracts. As a result, they often work without health or retirement benefits. I know too many older VFX artists who have nothing saved for retirement.

VFX artists generate enormous profits, but they do not get a fair share of those profits.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #62
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celshader
The janitors who clean up after us have the SEIU to protect them with health benefits and pensions for their retirement.

Unlike janitors, the VFX artists who generate billion$ in box office do not collectively bargain their contracts. As a result, they often work without health or retirement benefits. I know too many older VFX artists who have nothing saved for retirement.

VFX artists generate enormous profits, but they do not get a fair share of those profits.

And whose fault is that? Learn to save your money and get benefits from as separate company. Not sure about the rest of the world, but in Canada there are many companies that offer health insurance if your job does not.

My janitor point still holds true, you guys have a huge self entitlement complex. The awards are for the movie as a whole, not WHO did what.

If anyone is entitled to an award it is the investors who fund the movie projects.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #63
DSW
Banned
portfolio
DSW
USA

Quote:
And whose fault is that? Learn to save your money and get benefits from as separate company. Not sure about the rest of the world, but in Canada there are many companies that offer health insurance if your job does not.
You're either intentionally obtuse or simply don't have a clue.

Do you have ANY idea how much healtchcare costs in the US? Do You? Apparently not if you think it's EASY to "save your money" when you're barely making ends meet. But I'm guessing you already know this and are simply trolling. And doesn't Canada have a health care system VERY different from the US? Or don't you even know that?

Quote:
My janitor point still holds true, you guys have a huge self entitlement complex. The awards are for the movie as a whole, not WHO did what.

If anyone is entitled to an award it is the investors who fund the movie projects.

And MY point holds true - how much of what you see on the movie screen was done by the janitor? Self entitlement? How obtuse can one person be? You're proving it can go very far. Do you think it's "self-entitlment" to expect a FAIR wage? I'm not talking $100k a year here. I'm talking about a FAIR WAGE. Maybe if you got knocked down to minimum wage and worked 6o hours a week you might do a little complaining yourself. And then I hope there would be someone who would tell you to "buck up little guy... why do you think you're entitled to a fair wage buckaroo? Hahahaha...."

Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #64
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound of my diamond studded fireplace! Those rims man, they be spinnin'! Hold on while I shovel more thousand dollar bills into the fire!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #65
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound of my diamond studded fireplace! Those rims man, they be spinnin'! Hold on while I shovel more thousand dollar bills into the fire!

What is your point , exactly? It's confrontational(and aggravating for the sake of aggravation) posts such as yours that often derail these serious topics with inane comments and contradictory statements; often leading the thread itself to a dead-end.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #66
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
What is your point , exactly? It's confrontational(and aggravating for the sake of aggravation) posts such as yours that often derail these serious topics with inane comments and contradictory statements; often leading the thread itself to a dead-end.

And your post contributed how exactly? So pertinent to the point of this thread topic aye? This thread was derailed long ago. We essentially have two threads about the same issue going at once.

We aren't even talking about the Oscars anymore.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #67
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
And your post contributed how exactly? So pertinent to the point of this thread topic aye? This thread was derailed long ago. We essentially have two threads about the same issue going at once.

We aren't even talking about the Oscars anymore.

It was a contribution in an apparent vain attempt to quiet the nonsense. I read through the entire thread as it was developing with some interesting points of view.

And some not so much....

Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #68
modelriglightcomp
Veteran
Steve
Bristol, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPositive
I'm shocked and saddened Brave won. I thought it was mediocre at best and enjoyed Paranorman almost twice as much...

+1

I get the impression that Pixar are now at the stage where they are winning Oscars just for being Pixar. IMHO Paranorman or Wreck-Ir-Ralph were far more worthy winners.

YMMV.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #69
Xistel
Padawan
Christopher Halder
Lisbon, Portugal

It boggles my mind that someone would be against improving the life and working condition for VFX artists. Especially when it comes to basic things like retirement funds, etc.

I'm even more impressed that such an opinion would exist on these forums.

I understand that Producers don't want to pay more. It makes sense.
But I also think they are able to see the downfall for their films if VFX were to go on strike like the WGA did a few years back. It's true that was a Union strike, but VFX can pull that off (or at least threaten)

Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #70
badsearcher
Wizard

portfolio
T
Filmmaker
Los Angeles, USA

Guys, I know it's a bit unexpected to see such behavior on a forum dedicated to professionals but Geta-Ve is obviously a troll and just trying to upset you.

Don't reward his behavior with attention.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #71
balistic
wacom jock

portfolio
Brian Prince
Sr. 3D Artist
IGT
Reno, USA

Quote:

Private healthcare for a married couple* in the US can cost more than $1000 a month. Add in a kid or two and you can easily be paying more for insurance than for housing.

And that doesn't include co-pays for tests or medications.

* edit: changed from "husband and wife". Not very progressive of me.

Last edited by balistic : 02-26-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #72
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistic
Private healthcare for a married couple* in the US can cost more than $1000 a month. Add in a kid or two and you can easily be paying more for insurance than for housing.

And that doesn't include co-pays for tests or medications.

* edit: changed from "husband and wife". Not very progressive of me.

Exactly what I didn't know! Thank you for informing me. (Seriously). This is different from Canada where my wife an I pay about 200 a month for healthcare, combined.

However, I still believe that there is room to save your money, how many of us indulgently buy games, movies, etc? I'm sure some of you are stone cold savers, but lets be honest, can most really say that you are doing everything you could to save?

I don't disagree that change needs to happen in our industry, but I think there might be more to the issue than simple pay increases, at least, states side. In Canada a couple could survive on 50k a year, provided I didn't screw around with my money too much. Is that possible in the states? I dunno.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #73
eltaurus
portfolio
eltaurus taurus
kabul, AF

if i was in place of Bill Westenhofer I would have thrown oscar in front of audience

Moral: if u don't respect me then i wont respect u

Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #74
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread