portfolio
Dimitri Loginowski
VFX Artist + Designer
Handsome, LLC
Beverly Hills, USA

Send a message via AIM to stooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asi228
OK thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Money is obviously a big issue for me, that's why I'm going for best value, in all aspects. However I was wondering if taking an online course such as Mentor have no real interaction with other students and peers. That is another reason I want to go to a good school, to see other people's techniques and work people who undergo the same process as I am, not just learning raw technique from professors.

some of the best animatiors i have ever met personally, were animation mentor students.
for what its worth.

also cg isnt about interacting with other students, its a sad little world of you sitting infront of your computer. lol. jk.

anyway absolutely nothing beats a veteran pro animators feedback or crit. thats worth the money. thats why i actually recommend it. otherwise id be ripping into AM the same way im ripping into scad.

make no mistake, animation mentor requries alot of dedication and self control. you are basically at your house doing this stuff on your own time. something that requires a huge amount of commitment, if you can commit yourself to successfully produce good animation with animation mentor, then you have what it takes to pursue real projects. self motivation and independence is key in this industry. No one holds your hand like they do in colleges. if you cant hack it, you are gone... doesnt matter how nice you are and how good your people skills are...

Last edited by stooch : 05-18-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
desertrabbit

portfolio
wai ming soh
singapore, SG

Hmmm actually I'm not sure if money is the biggest problem here. But it would really make no sense if you come out with a degree and end up $200k in debt. Not to mention its USD. A lot of the seniors here is actually feeding you the simple secret which is learning it cheaper by other means and do more study on your own.

I would also like to give you a take of what I feel as I come from Singapore and I just got a scholarship from SCAD. I hope that clears doubts on whether the school gives financial aids to overseas students. No i dun have any form of citizenship here. I applied last dec 2009 with a portfolio entry. I didn't get the full grant, they gave me around 2/3rd tuition grant of the $28k full-time fee. I've searched all forums done all my readings and I know the average gets about $4-$6k and there are a couple who gets full waiver to study. Some of the full waiver are students who has very good GPA with little to no portfolio submission, and like someone who mentioned previously, yes if you are good athletically you get a full ride too. I also know there's a very handful of students who got full ride and are really very good professionally and I have no idea why they'd want to go school too hahaha. And there are students like me who doesn't have a very good portfolio, doesn't have a good GPA, doesn't do sport and thus resort to planning 1 and a half years ahead and finishing 1 and a half sketchbook of 300 pages life drawing with 2 write-ups and additional submission materials on top of the requested submissions. I did it quite pathetically while being the sole bread winner of the family. Like you I too served the army.

Getting yourself to SCAD with a scholarship is not hard actually, the hardest part is how far are you willing to go to get yourself that scholarship? If school is what you want then start planning ahead and don't give up. I waited for 7 years and I really hope you don't end up like me and I believe you'll really get what you want if you keep working on it. All the best to you !!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread