Oil and Steam FX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  09 September 2012
Oil and Steam FX

I am currently creating oil and steam fx. I am not really going for super realistic look, but more of an animated film style. I am using Maya fluids for all of them. I tried out nParticles for oil as well, but the results were not as nice and the "nParticles to polygons" conversion kept giving me problems.

1.) For the Steam FX , near the point of emission in the reference, there is a strong clean stream at the beginning. After the stream, the steam spreads/expands and swirl. The spread/expand part is the trickiest effect of the sim I am trying to get. So far the look seems more like particle clouds rather than a smoother fluid.

Here is the main reference I am using: link

2.) The Bubbling Oil test that is based on this boiling water tutorial:

I am trying to get bubble burst effects similar to the reference. Which particular settings should I focus on to get that effect? As seen in the playblast, part of the trouble is that the polygon spheres I am using as collisions also fill internally with fluid as they rise up. The result is not a natural bubble burst or one that does not allow the bounce to happen.

Bubbling oil reference: link

3.) For the Falling Oil , the main concern for the moment is the way the fluids interacting with the ground, as they are sliding around too much. The only solution I could find right now is viscosity, but that will also change the behavior too much as well. In addition, small bits of the fluid keep disappearing/reappearing.

Last edited by Venator11387 : 09 September 2012 at 08:51 PM.

share thread