Happy 35th Birthday, Commodore 64

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 6 Days Ago   #1
Happy 35th Birthday, Commodore 64

he BBC was kind enough to point out that one of the most significant early personal computers,the
Commodore 64, went on sale in August 30 years ago. For many people, this
machine was their introduction to personal computing, and for two
members of the Ars staff, thinking about the machine brings up strong
memories. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...e-commodore-64/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 6 Days Ago   #2
Spectrum was better.

Old 6 Days Ago   #3
35th or 30th birthday?

It was the beginning of my journey, not only in computer graphics but also music. In fact, I believe that the success of techno and electronic music in general was paved by C64 as lots of kids got used to listen to electronic tunes, electronic music sounded very familiar to them when it made its way into pop culture a few years later. I mean I'll never forget some tunes (mostly from Ron Hubbard) and I'm regularly checking out the SID Player app on my Android phone to listen to some of them.
I spent countless hours drawing in Art Studio, playing with machine language, gaming (and taking care of the cassettes and floppies), and making or listening to music. What a wonderful little machine the C64 was. My personal and professional life would've taken a different turn without the C64.

Old 5 Days Ago   #4
I started on C64 as well. It taught me graphics and computer programming, and now many years later I write GFX algorithms that run on GPU for a living.

Amiga was fantastic as well. The best graphics, music and multimedia computer of its time.

It boggles the mind what we could have had, computing wise, if Commodore hadn't gone out of business.

I suspect that there would be 3 big platforms now - Windows, MacOS and AmigaOS. The latter would probably have kicked the former's asses in anything graphics, music, video and 3D related.

Old 2 Days Ago   #5
I remember my uncle giving me one pre-loaded with a tonne of videogames for my fifth birthday. It is funny to think that it was already 15 years old when I got it. Man, I liked to imagine it was something like Reboot with all the clicks, beeps, and whirls going on inside of it.

Old 1 Day Ago   #6
I loved the C64. Got it when I was 8. 1982. Even though I eventually moved to PC, my C64 was still kept alive and running til about 1992. I actually learned to program in ASM & BASIC. The 64 is also where I got my start doing graphics. Had the KoalaPad digitizer and everything. Such an amazing first computer to have.

Old 1 Day Ago   #7
Commodore were amazing...we had several Amigas....I loved Alien Breed, Another World and many others....lol

LINK: We CRASHED the MILLENNIUM FALCON!

reply share thread