Fume FX on Maya !!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2014   #121
Hey guys, I've run into a problem using arnold in fume:

If my grid is boundless it all simulates fine and looks fine in the GPU preview and the viewport, but when I render with Arnold it only renders what's inside the original sized grid, not the resized, adaptive grid, and so cuts off everything outside.. I'm having to make my grid massive in order to render it all, but that's changing the whole shape of the simulation :/

Has anyone else had this issue?

Old 04 April 2014   #122
Originally Posted by mrmattvfx: Hey guys, I've run into a problem using arnold in fume:

If my grid is boundless it all simulates fine and looks fine in the GPU preview and the viewport, but when I render with Arnold it only renders what's inside the original sized grid, not the resized, adaptive grid, and so cuts off everything outside.. I'm having to make my grid massive in order to render it all, but that's changing the whole shape of the simulation :/

Has anyone else had this issue?

I thought fumefx only supports vray and mental ray for maya. or are you using max?

Old 04 April 2014   #123
Makes sense, the version you're using in Arnold at the moment, was written before SitniSati, added the boundless grid settings.

This is a problem with the Fume MTOA translator plugin, not being aware of this new mode fune is capable of.

Please post this problem on the Afterworks support forums, they're working on updates to the arnold shader at the moment for the first official release.

thanks
-j

Old 05 May 2014   #124
Is it possible to render out a FumeFX animation with GPU ?

Old 05 May 2014   #125
Originally Posted by billpayer2005: Is it possible to render out a FumeFX animation with GPU ?

With GPU you can do only a "preview".

Old 05 May 2014   #126
But it looks like the preview is very close to final render quality?

Why not allow a frame sequence to be GPU rendered ?

It would be very fast. Maybe insanely fast with new Nvidia cards.... Even at HD

Old 05 May 2014   #127
I'm not sure if hardware preview quality is good enough.
You can try it out, just make a simple scene and render few frames with MR and hardware preview. And watch the difference, if the result will satisfy you.
It seems that hardware preview doesn't do Alpha channel isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07 July 2014   #128
I never been able to render with MTOA yet, I think I need the FumeFX extension, but I don't even have an extension folder in MTOA's root. When I create it, I can't even open Maya since it crashes everytime .... Pretty weird.

Well for the moment I'm rendering with MentalRay and compositing the MTOA passes in Nuke when I need to. Makes a pretty good job

Here's one of my first try in FumeFX Maya :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbsn2j6Dxyc

Old 09 September 2014   #129
FumeFX Maya collision and wind.help please

i have problem with using wind inside fumefx maya.i used on Air fields wind for make some effects on my simulation.but its not working with Fumefx. anybody knows how to make wind effects in fumefx maya?
and another problem is in rendering with mentalray,i used collision for my object in FumeFX simulation is ok,but in render i can see my fire behind the object ! i dont know why and i tried with another objects and put inside my fume node to see in render but resluts were same
thankssss

Old 09 September 2014   #130
krakatoa MY & fume fx rendering question

HI guys, Ive been playing around with Krakatoa MY and have no issues rendering with MR & Arnold but using krakatoa I get black renders no matter what. sanity check all ok just not getting anything in my render output. tried using dmeyer's "test scene" from earlier post - BLACKNESS!!! could someone please suggest where I might be going wrong.
its my first foray into fume fx and krakatoa but Im really astounded by the examples I see and would love to get it working. thanks for your time

Old 10 October 2014   #131
Originally Posted by FeriAlien: i have problem with using wind inside fumefx maya.i used on Air fields wind for make some effects on my simulation.but its not working with Fumefx. anybody knows how to make wind effects in fumefx maya?
and another problem is in rendering with mentalray,i used collision for my object in FumeFX simulation is ok,but in render i can see my fire behind the object ! i dont know why and i tried with another objects and put inside my fume node to see in render but resluts were same
thankssss

Better late than never.

For the air field-there is a rather silly default of Distance-Max Distance to 20 -a small area- on the Air Field itself which with most production scenes is useless for anything really. Uncheck it so there is no max distance for now. Only introduce later if required.

For the holdouts/blackholes not working you need to check on 'Maya Volume Sampling' under the General Rendering Parameters in your FumeFX grid. Another default not very useful for most production scenes.

It all works just funky defaults is all.

Last edited by circusboy : 10 October 2014 at 05:27 PM.

reply share thread