A convoluted question about dynamesh and topology

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Lightbulb A convoluted question about dynamesh and topology

Hi everyone, I began learning to sculpt in 3d and have recently ventured into zbrush. I've got a good grasp on 3d from blender but I'm struggling to understand a few things in zbrush.

I'm in the process of making an in game model in zbrush which I will then rig and animate in blender. from what I've gathered, for the original high def model which I sculpt for the normal map, topology is not that much of an issue, that is reserved for the low poly mesh that I will model over it. However, I started with a zsphere-made base mesh and unfortunately my model has a much lower poly count in his head than the rest of his body.

I've heard that dynamesh can be used to fix this problem but I'm concerned hat I will lose my original model's detail, and possibly the higher levels of subdivision. in addition, I'm concerned that the topology of dynamesh will be impossible to use in order to create seams for my uv. I've read in a few forums that you should create the seams in the lowest subdivision level and then it would kind of be alright, is this true?

Old 02 February 2013   #2
You don't need to UV the hi-res mesh, just the game mesh. As for losing details, save out a version and try it. It only takes a couple seconds. I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue; dynamesh can capture a fairly high level of detail.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thanks, I've tried it out and it works great. a friend of mine told me about baking high poly detail onto low poly meshes so I understand it a bit better now. thanks for your help

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread