Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Send a message via AIM to CoreyArtE

Surface Pro 2 too small for digital painting?

Does anyone feel the surface pro is too small to do art with? Im thinking about getting one but I've never used these new portable tablets before till recently when I tested some out at best buy. I wasnt quit sure if the size factor is really an issue in programs like photoshop cs6? I know the surface pro is 10.6 size screen but I saw another tablet (thinkpad) with an 11.6 inch screen but I believe it was slightly heavier. So im asking anyone who might have some advice, does an 11.6 inch screen make all the difference in comparison to a 10.6 screen like the surface pro 2. Extra menu space?

Old 09-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I found it extremely nice to sketch/paint/zbrush with when I used one for a week. I would say get it and give it a try, if you don't like it you can return it. You can't really tell much from trying a bolted down demo unit at best buy.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Good point, but do you feel as though a larger screen like a 11.6 inch (puting hardware specs aside) would be better for doing artwork? Extra menu space?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Good point, but do you feel as though a larger screen like a 11.6 inch (putting hardware specs aside) would be better for doing artwork? Extra menu space?

Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
pomru
Expert

Okay, time to apply a little critical thinking here... When you buy a portable tablet, you're really buying it for the portability, so you need to consider what that extra inch of monitor space will give you in exchange for extra weight.

I looked up the 11.6" Lenovo model you mentioned, and it appears to be the ThinkPad Helix Tablet Laptop Hybrid http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablet...thinkpad-helix/

The Surface Pro display is only 10.6" but it has the same display resolution of 1920x1080 as the Lenovo Helix, so you don't actually get extra menu space. The Wacom Cintiq Companion has a 13.3" display, but the resolution is also 1920x1080!

So what I'm saying is that you cannot make a purchasing decision based on screen size if your criteria is "Extra menu space" because the user interface will take up the same percentage of screenspace on all three devices because all three have the same display resolution. You should consider a different criteria instead, such as crispness of the display, display color fidelity, or battery life.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

good point plus i can always change resolution if needed for a 11.6 or 10.6 inch style tablet.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread