Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
rafiky77
portfolio
jon
www.dogzforlife.com
kilkeel, United Kingdom

Question hi guys, i require you expert advice

hi everyone, i need a little help

firstly, this site is annoying, i joined up to ask you experts here a couple of questions and instead have spent the last hour looking at some truly amazing artwork (when i should be working) i wish i had a tenth of the talent i see in some of the stuff here

not being a artist myself (i could just about draw something my 8 year old niece would recognize as a dog) i especially enjoyed the WIP section, fascinating watching something being created like that. ok enough of my rambling and onto my actual question

i have a small startup company, and we plan to offer some artwork, we are working with a Caricaturist, she is doing A4 colour Caricatures digitally (unsure what program she uses, sorry)

she will then send us the file, we then print it off. frame it if required and post it to the customer

the part i have no clue about right now is the printing side, i really dont know at what quality i need to get these printed to get the most of the quality, the images themselves are not greatly detailed, also for anyone that does anything like this, is there a certain paper or gsm you would recommend

and lastly, (and sorry this post is way too long) could anyone recommend a good printer that could do justice to a caricature and print on decent paper

thanks in advance for anyone that can help

regards, a very jealous Rafiky

Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

So you want to start a printing business without having the slightest clue on how to do it.

Sorry dude, i dont want to be rude, but thats a verry verry bad idea.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
rafiky77
portfolio
jon
www.dogzforlife.com
kilkeel, United Kingdom

thanks for the reply

its not a printing business, i just need to print out a few caricatures each month that are done digitally so i thought where better to ask than here

we might end up using a professional printers in the end, but i thought it made more sense to ask around first, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, i just thought it would be a pretty easy question for people who do it "shrugs"

Old 10-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

So...it's not really our job to tell you of good printers to use, especially if it's basically the core of your business. Assuming you know what A4 means (it's an international paper size) you also need to know the dpi she is working in (hopefully 300 at least). The dpi will vary depending on the final delivery (poster vs postcard). Like Chritter said, you seem to have a business in an industry you know nothing about, time to start reading up.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
zzacmann
Shaved Monkey

portfolio
Zac Overcash
Animator
Vancouver, Canada

Do you have Kinko's in the UK?

I would go to a Kinkos or similar printing shop with a work sample and get it printed using all of available options. Print it on high gloss, matte and everything in-between. Choose lots of different qualities of paper as well. Ask the people there what they would recommend. After you get a dozen or so different options in front of you you could decide which ones best display the art and meet your needs. The people there should also direct you toward best papers for archival/display purposes as well. After you've determined the direction you want to go its just a matter of choosing a printer that can print the same resolution, size and paper as what the print shop uses. OR you could just bypass doing it yourself and just use an outside printer to do the work for you, that way you can guarantee some level of quality without paying for mistakes out of your own pocket. Plus, a lot of print shops now work WITH shipping companies (ie:Kinkos FedEx) and they could not only print it but also tube it up and ship it as well all in one trip.

I know some people are going to jump on my recommendation to use a Kinkos and say that the people who work there are kids who don't know what they're talking about, but if you can find an employee who's been there a while, they really do know what they're doing. Back in art school I needed to print out a poster I had made in photoshop and a guy at Kinkos ran me through all of my options and made recommendations that got me exactly what I wanted.

Last edited by zzacmann : 10-25-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
rafiky77
portfolio
jon
www.dogzforlife.com
kilkeel, United Kingdom

thanks for the advice zaccman, some good points in your post, much appreciated

i'll reiterate, i dont plan to run a printing business, nor is it a core of my business, i just need to get a few prints here and there, found the replies quite rude to be honest, but have received some useful stuff aswell so thankyou, i wont bug you guys again, how found a forum a little more welcoming lol

good luck in all your en-devours

Thread Closed share thread