CGTalk > Techniques > Character Rigging
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
JV Different
Sydney, Australia
FBX Headaches and Bindposes :<

Hey there guys,

I have a rad animation that I need to export out of Maya into an .fbx file, but it just isn't listening properly. :( Or maybe I am using the wrong words.

When I export, the animation comes out perfectly on the skeleton, but the mesh just hangs out in T-Pose (completely uninfluenced by the skeleton). Separate meshes, like the eyes, do follow, which is amusingly creepy but not what I'm after.

When I open up the exported .fbx, I get an "Incomplete Bindpose" warning. So, I've read around on forums, and setting the character into bindpose on frame 0 sounds like it is meant to solve my problems, but alas. Even when I disable all the iks, the constraints, the expressions and nucleuses (nuclei? Hairsystem doobies) the skeleton still refuses to go into bindpose in the animation file. Maybe there are some connections that still need disabling, but I do not know how to do that with scripting (as suggested in the script editor). The skeleton does go into bindpose in the rig file however. I've reset the bindpose multiple times in the rig, in hopes of cleaning out any bugs, but to no avail.

So I guess my question is: "what is this I don't even."
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Erik Eidukas
Character TD
Insomniac Games
What is the end result you are looking for? Are you just trying to get the anim data out of maya and bring it into motionbuilder?

As far as for your t-posed mesh, my guess is that you do not have the "Deformed models" checkbox checked in your fbx export settings. I am guessing that the eyes may be following because they were parented rather than skinned.

If you can tell me what you are trying to do I may be able to help you some more.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
JV Different
Sydney, Australia
The end result is meant to be the animated mesh and bones together in an .fbx file, ready to import into Unity as an asset.

The eyes were skinned on, as were the other extra face bits that followed the animation (inside of mouth, horns, eyelids). And the Deformed Models box was checked. I think that scene just had the angries forever, as no combination of checked/unchecked boxes seemed to change the resulting .fbx.

I ended up referencing the rig into a new Maya scene, jiggling an arm around, checking "Ignore all Nodes" (in the Modify tab), clicking "Go To Bindpose", and then checking "Evaluate All Nodes". Oh and then rekeying the animation (gross). I would have dkAnim'd the keys, but for some reason it was neither reading nor writing my animation. Just my luck.

The new scene exports perfectly now, and so has my next animated asset, so I guess I solved the problem by not really solving it at all. :/
Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread