Maya inset polygon error?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2018
Maya inset polygon error?

Hello.

When i try to offset (extrude) one polygon on the cube its work ok. But when i try do the same on single polygon face i have strange error (unnecessary polygon)
This is normal behaviour?

anim gif:

https://imgur.com/Vn6nV1D

07 July 2018
Why would you need a script, is working as it should.
make sure you understand the extrusion tool
and polygon modeling.

07 July 2018
What you are assuming is that the backface poly, or in this case even the front face poly would disappear after the extrude. It doesn't. You extrude a face forward or inwards and it is going to flip the original poly to face the other way. In the usage case you are showing instead of extruding away from the normal, which would give you a real extrusion away from the original face, back included, you are insetting the face.

In the cube scenario it takes into account the rest of the cube faces and no longer keeps the original face favoring the new faces needed for the extrusion ignoring the geometry that would be useless underneath and not visible inside the cube so it removes the original face in favor of extruded geo. Just do the extrude on one face first with the other sides on the cube then once it is inset as you like delete the rest of the cube. Or you could delete one side of the cube then use edge selection and extrude the edges towards the middle and then use close hole to add the final quad to finish that side of the cube.

07 July 2018
Originally Posted by damaggio: Why would you need a script, is working as it should.
make sure you understand the extrusion tool
and polygon modeling.
Scripts are often used when the default behavior isn't what is wanted or required.

Extrusion tools and polygon modeling can be different in practice depending on the application.

07 July 2018
Ok i have very simple geo. I select all the faces - extrude - offset - grow selection and inverse and then delete bottom polygon and this happens:

https://imgur.com/3FdlwDM

when i dont delete but move only bottom faces. Its moving all the faces not only selected one. I cant understand it. Geo is clean without any errors.
Soft selection is off.

07 July 2018
if you really want this behavior starting from a plane, you could simply add a face support then deleteit.

reply share thread