Corel Bankrupt-Painter discontinued... or...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you believe in a new version of Painter coming any time soon?
Absolutely! Corel is ALWAYS on the ball! 12 48.00%
Maybe... if we're nice and prepay for it. 4 16.00%
Hardly... and who cares? I'm goin' with PS-CS4 all the way! 6 24.00%
No Way! They're dead just like Painter is. 3 12.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
I don't think anyone here hates Painter, I for one wished it was better, should I mention a little cool gfx application called Paint Tool SAI who is designed and programmed by a single person? He added tons of inovations that no other program has them and it's only in it's first version, granted it's also missing tons of features that Painter and Photoshop has but at least it's doing it's own thing like Painter was doing before Painter 8 was released, I think that's what most people critizing Corel want.

Anyway thanks for the quote PixelDoc, I hope they actually do something with Painter 11, adding multiple core support would be a start and a new interface already.

Last edited by workbench : 08 August 2008 at 03:29 PM.

08 August 2008
The next Painter

We have some cool stuff planned for the next version. Speed, performance, fixing "stuff", and some cool new tools. I appreciate you all taking the time to post. I hand out here reading your posts, and I do bring this stuff back for plans for future dev.

Keep it coming.

Rob

08 August 2008
At the moment I'm still using 9.1 for the sole reason that 9.5 isn't working with Vista, I found a solution to get 9.5 installed but keep getting an error when trying to use it.

Do hope you guys not only improve future versions, but, patch existing ones aswell !

For me, that is when you see a company doesn't solely think about the cash flow, but about the customer aswell !!!

08 August 2008
Hi PainterPM

Itīs good to see someone here from Corel, as many have already told before. I want now again to remind you of the couple of bugs we have with Intel Mac:

1) annoying freezing of brushes every now and then.

2) inability to use distort, scale and rotate by using cursor.

The fixing of these things is very important for us who are using painter for a heavy daily work, doing cartoons and illustrations etc.

But, after all, I love Painter and hope it will continue getting better and better (and in near future to be able to use more cores and RAM...)

Lauri

08 August 2008
Hi PainterPM

Itīs good to see someone here from Corel, as many have already told before. I want now again to remind you of the couple of bugs we have with Intel Mac:

The fixing of these things is very important for us who are using painter for a heavy daily work, doing cartoons and illustrations etc.

But, after all, I love Painter and hope it will continue getting better and better (and in near future to be able to use more cores and RAM...)

Lauri

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by Laurindo: Hi PainterPM

Lauri

Iīm am on a Macbook Pro (Tiger) and donīt experiment these bugs.
No brushes freezing at all.
I can rotateg, scale and transform by using cursor for sure.
Do not wait for a new version: you ought to reinstall it now, thatīs weird.

Last edited by Miguimau : 08 August 2008 at 10:13 AM.

08 August 2008
Thanx Miguimau,

I have been lucky enough to not had to do any reinstalling in past six years.. I got a the recent 8-core mac pro and Leopard in it and I had fresh install of Painter X.

Now I must try reinstalling, sure.

Lauri

08 August 2008
Doh!

An eight core Mac Pro! Itīs a sin if you are not able to properly run Painter. :(
Multi core support, that is one of the main fixes Corel ought to consider.

Mmm, you could install Tiger (if you can) in an external drive, just to discard a Leopard bug. Sounds crazy but who knows... Thatīs why I havenīt upgraded to Leopard, no surprises.

Good luck (and congrats on that awesome machine)

I must confess that my favourite version EVER is Painter 7 running on a Powerbook G4 12" @1.5gh I still use Painter 7 much , maybe the 70% of my Painter work. Even under Rosseta is pretty fast.

Last edited by Miguimau : 08 August 2008 at 09:40 PM.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by Laurindo: Hi PainterPM

Lauri

The freezing and the inabilities are weird.... as mentioned above by Miguimau you shouldn't be experiencing this?? Do you have anymore details you can share?
I agree on the multi core and ram. It's really too bad the software doesn't leverage these technologies. This is an area we are heavily investigating for the next version.

Rob

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by Joker II: At the moment I'm still using 9.1 for the sole reason that 9.5 isn't working with Vista, I found a solution to get 9.5 installed but keep getting an error when trying to use it.

Do hope you guys not only improve future versions, but, patch existing ones aswell !

For me, that is when you see a company doesn't solely think about the cash flow, but about the customer aswell !!!

Hi Joker II,

As a rule software companies never do a previous version patch if there is a new one available as the case with Painter X. Now I am not saying that this is a good or smart rule but you will find these cases all over the place.
We will not be making 9.5 Vista compliant. It's not that we are thinking about the money but it is sometimes impossible to go back on code to bring it up to run on new OS'. Not that this eases your pain right now but I hope it helps??

Rob

08 August 2008
Well, fair enough PainterPM, I'll probably won't be upgrading to X, but, you can be sure that I'll keep my eyes open to see what XI will bring and if it's interesting (multiple core support, etc... ) I'll certainly will upgrade to that one.

Actually, I just was able to upgrade to IX.5, think that I actually didn't upgrade to IX.1 previously, Jinny Brown at the Painter forum was so kind to help me out.

One thing that I really like seeing is you guys communicating with the user base, it's something not manny developers do and something that should be done, even if it's just to say that something isn't possible. Better then to be left in the dark !

Edit:
@ThePixelDoc,
How is it possible that you voted twice on this poll ? Isn't really fair now is it ?

Last edited by Joker II : 08 August 2008 at 08:12 AM.

09 September 2008
Originally Posted by Joker II:
Edit:
@ThePixelDoc,
How is it possible that you voted twice on this poll ? Isn't really fair now is it ?

To answer that Q quickly: because I was the one that set it up to allow multiple voting, and wanted to see if it worked. Just testing

I also want to say to Rob: thanks for staying involved here and at the PainterFactory Forum. It really is a great thing to have you and others actually "at" Corel replying to the forums, since as you see... more people go ahead and get involved in the discusssion themselves if they think someone of importance is listening.

Originally Posted by PainterPM: The freezing and the inabilities are weird.... as mentioned above by Miguimau you shouldn't be experiencing this?? Do you have anymore details you can share?
I agree on the multi core and ram. It's really too bad the software doesn't leverage these technologies. This is an area we are heavily investigating for the next version.

Uhm... a little critique on that reply Rob: Even you have stated that Painter is at the moment rather unstable, so "wierd freezing" and crashing, happens to be the result of that. Also, it's not the leveraging of ram or multi-core technologies at the center of the problem, it's the programming behind the screen-drawing/video driver routines. Most freezing/crashing problems within any graphics related program is due to bad or inefficient GPU hooks and programming.

Also in reply to the person who posted, stating that we do not need OpenGL or better GPU integration because he (or we) wouldn't be able to use on-board memory or 128mb chips, etc. ... GPU and specifically OpenGL usage is, at the program level, only used if there are sufficient resources available while working (i.e. your chip or card has enough unused memory available). It's not a "requirement", but is a definite speed bump for "some" tasks, and "some" people, that have pro workstation set ups. Other set-ups may be slower, but that has always been the case with any and all programs, and lack of high-end video cards, sufficient ram, and adequate free-space and a fast hard drive. Vista's biggest problems to date revolve around just these areas. An all-round higher-end system is required.

Re: Ram
Not entirely Corel's problem. WinXP users will always be held to under 4gigs available to the entire system. Vista also has some internal issues using ram, caching, and program memory allocation under 32bit. I've "heard & read" that Vista 64bit is the best future-proof system regarding the aforementioned tech for Windows users(?)

Mac OSX is at the moment the most stable when using multi-gigs of ram, and I personally use 5 gigs out of a total of 10 gigs when working with Painter and have no probs bumping it up if I need to (or down for that matter).

Re: Multi-Core and Multi-threading
An actual programmer should verify my next statement(!) As I understand it, Painter... just as with PhotoShop, will only see major speed gains when using filters. Multi-core is great for the system, because you can be working on Painter or PS (or both), editing/compressing a video, doing a system-wide search, etc. all at the same time. The program (Painter) itself would only gain if you had 2 or more pictures open, one is being ran through a multi-stepped filter script... and while it's doing it's job in the background, you're painting a new masterpiece in the foreground. However, this is generally NOT how we use Painter... so I do not see any major gain by designing Painter for it. If it's a biproduct of updating the code however... please... by all means!

To sum it up, it's the GPU routines that need optimizing in Painter, and which will bring the most benefit in the future, as well as overall stabilty.

To experience this in a graphics app right now, and OpenGL integration in action, you should check out PhotoShop CS4 (beta), and that thread here on this forum. Pretty amazing and FAST stuff!

09 September 2008
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc: To answer that Q quickly: because I was the one that set it up to allow multiple voting, and wanted to see if it worked. Just testing

If that's the case, don't you think it would have been better to divide those two votes (negative/possitive), I mean, the way you voted, it really gives the impression that all you wanted to do is bring Painter down !

09 September 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread