Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
RaptorCWS
Veteran
portfolio
Bill
Fayetteville, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Is Mixamo really somthing someone should rely on for rigging and skin weighting?

I have a friend and class mate who went on for the better half of an hour about how great Mixamo's auto rigger was. He was saying things like, "learning how to do it yourself is pointless because this is going to be used by everyone in the next 5 years." Which I immediately thought was dumb because it appears to only work for bipeds and a beta for quadruped, and nothing for anything with wings or say an alien biped whose legs function like birds and not humans.

My question really is, Is there any truth to what my friend is saying? I mean I'm not going to pass on learning to rig correctly because I'm sure Mixamo's computers were programmed to rig like a rigger would, but is this something most studios are using now?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Zerflag
Dedicated

portfolio
Enoch Ihde
R&D Guy
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via AIM to Zerflag
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorCWS
I have a friend and class mate who went on for the better half of an hour about how great Mixamo's auto rigger was. He was saying things like, "learning how to do it yourself is pointless because this is going to be used by everyone in the next 5 years." Which I immediately thought was dumb because it appears to only work for bipeds and a beta for quadruped, and nothing for anything with wings or say an alien biped whose legs function like birds and not humans.

My question really is, Is there any truth to what my friend is saying? I mean I'm not going to pass on learning to rig correctly because I'm sure Mixamo's computers were programmed to rig like a rigger would, but is this something most studios are using now?

i know of no major or minor studios using mixamo. but i'm sure some people with very limited requirements are putting it to good use.

and regardless of if you could use mixamo or not and if you actually would use any rigging skills you pick up, learning at least a bit about it would probably benefit your understanding of 3d in general.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
uiron
neglostyti

portfolio
Viktoras Makauskas
Lithuania

generating a biped rig and assigning aproximate weights to it is easiest task in rigging. The real work begins in details - deformation fine tuning, facial setup, props, adaptation to animator or pipeline needs, rework ("we've got a new mesh for this", "this is gonna be a hood now"), tweaking ("that cheek appears flat when I do this and this"). A lot that's being done manually today in CG can be automated, yes, but fully automatically... it's gonna be a long wait. There are face mesh generators - do you see modellers/sculptors dissapearing left and right?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Zerflag
Dedicated

portfolio
Enoch Ihde
R&D Guy
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via AIM to Zerflag
the above post made it sound like i was saying you should learn mixamo... i meant you should learn a bit about rigging...
although you might be able to learn something about rigging by reverse engineering a mixamo rig, who knows...

Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Pahuska
Veteran

portfolio
FERRACHAT Guillaume
Maya Rigging/Scripting
Valence, France

Your friend and class mate should start learning how to rig by himself, because this mixamo auto rigger will never take our jobs. I watched a couple of video about it, and it looks like a very basic rig, maybe it's ok for video games. What if you want a cartoon character, with bendy limbs and volume preservation ? What if your character has 3 arms, 1 tail, 5 tentacles, 2 antenna and a hood ? What if you need a very realistic rig wich will requires some correctives shapes and maybe even muscles ? And what about facial rig ?
No, seriously, this doesn't look like an awesome tool that will be used by everyone in 5 years. Autoriggers are good, but if you want to have a perfect rig, you'll always have to work on the details, as uiron says (by the way, your skintool is awesome dude, I could click on the relax button all day long)

If it is an autorigger you want, just go here : http://www.creativecrash.com/ and you'll probably find a lot of better ones, some of them are even free

Old 06-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
RaptorCWS
Veteran
portfolio
Bill
Fayetteville, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Thanks everybody. I'm more of a modeler myself and I personally do have issues with rigging my own models, but that's because im still learning retopology. I wanted to know more informed opinions before I said anything to him about what he was saying was wrong. I even said what happens if you have something with an odd number of legs and he just ignored it.
I'm not looking for an auto rigger myself. but I wouldnt mind learning some .mel script to make some simpler rigging tools to speed things up. I've always been a fan of learning new skill sets.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
shakii
Frequenter

portfolio
Tony Chen
CGMovement
Canada

I really like Mixamo's concept and they've provided convenient tools at affordable pricing for startups or individuals.

On another hand, I think what your friend said about rigging may be offending but there's some truths in that - it totally depends on the needs of the people. He's not into rigging, so he doesn't feel it's important to learn the process, which is fine. We can say the same thing to people who are not into modeling as well, ie., "learning how to do a human model from scratch is pointless because we are all working off templates anyway".

Old 06-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
gmask
Obfuscator

gmask
Power Sitting
Topanga, USA

If you're fine with rubbery game res looking characters it's great!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Cactus Dan
Of the West

Cactus Dan Libisch
Freelance Character TD
Ferron, USA

Howdy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorCWS
...I wanted to know more informed opinions before I said anything to him about what he was saying was wrong...

Well, I wouldn't bother with arguing about it. Because even if you have enough evidence to prove him wrong and he concedes, remember the old saying, "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."

Adios,
Cactus Dan
Edit:
P.S. When they invent the "Create great character animation from direct link to brain" button, then we'll all be out of a job.

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread