CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
shoqman
Frequenter

Tip For Updating C4D on a Server

So I have my C4D server and Client housed on our main server, so each client machine can just launch a script and grab whatever the newest client is with whatever the newest plugins are at startup. Works pretty well.

The only problem I've had is updating has always been a nightmare because for some reason, even with clients all shut down, some parts of the render client would remain shared (specifically the advancedrender module) so the updater would fail.

Someone at Maxon pointed me to the Sysinternals Suite.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/bb842062.aspx

In there is a command line utility called PSFile, you can run it and it will show you a list of all files currently shared from your server.

So I ran it and sure enough, despite not being able to find a machine with the Net Client running, those files were still being shared and thus not updatable.

So I just ran PSFile with a partial path to search and the -c command and it closed down all those files, making the update work perfectly.

Awesome!

So, anyway, hope that's helpful.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
gdogfunk
Expert

Ryan Mininger
Orange Peel Productions, Inc.
Toledo, USA

I'd be interested in learning more about how you do this. I have my server on an iMac sitting next to my main Mac Pro. My render farm is mostly PC towers. Is your setup using a mixed platform by chance? I am now wondering if I should install the server on one of the PCs and try something like you have running. I am tired of pulling each tower and updating manually!

Any guidance in your approach would be most helpful!

Thank you,

Ryan

Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread