Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
Faceeater
portfolio
David
Sarasota, USA

Joining objects together

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new with 3ds max and am working on a project of creating a town just to get some basic skills down.

I have run into a problem where I can't figure out how to join two objects together. I use "attach" but that doesn't actually physically join the items.

Some examples: I create a window object with some wall around it. I then want to duplicate it and join the duplicate to the original so I have a full wall of a house with two windows.

Another example, I create a town wall section and want to duplicate it and join the different sections together to create one long wall. This becomes more difficult when I want to join a section I've curved to a straight section, Is there a function that will take two like objects and join them together? Merging the vertices/edges is way too tedious and I'm sure there's a simpler way.

If anyone has any tutorials with info on this sort of problem would be much appreciated!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Do you really need to join the objects? A lot of the time people just move objects into one another (for instance making a car body separate parts like wheels and then move them into position) and export the whole thing as a single OBJ or whatever. If however you want to attach the geometry, just clicking the Attach button won't do. You will need to weld vertices together, also possibly bridge parts.
If you can post a picture of the mesh we will be able to advise you better.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Faceeater
portfolio
David
Sarasota, USA

Here is a picture of the town wall section I created. I would like to be able to duplicate it and have it joined together at the ends. The reason I would like to actually join it instead of just pushing them together is it would be easier if I deformed the wall into bends or curves later. If I just push them together they don't tend to curve together so I have to return and work on the seam again. If they were a solid object they would move together so I wouldn't have gaps. The detail at the top of the wall makes that especially frustrating, since it's a lot harder to match up especially when one piece is curved.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

In those instances I really wouldn't physically join them, it's not necessary. The only times I actually attach things together is when you need to see something like a curved edge where the objects meet, otherwise it's just fine for them to be separate pieces.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
hotknife
Expert

Andrew Whitney
Nottingham,

Go to Utilities (The Hammer tab in the Command Panel). Under there you will find Collapse - this is a quick way to join all your meshes together that are selected into one, whether they are Instanced or whatever - you may or may not want to Boolean them at the same time but I'd advise not to.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread