Preview: Pixar’s “Blue Umbrella” short

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01 January 2013   #16
The bar is high for the best. I'm sure they won't let down. Does seem like a predictable plot line: two in love get lost in the crowd. Hope I'm surprised. Hate not being surprised. Then again, it's for children, not meant to be picked apart by over-aged critics lol.

Originally Posted by AJ: The level of cynicism for a 10 second clip is pretty staggering. Personally, I think it looks interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing the final film.


By that rationale...

It's like Cars, but with lamps.
It's like Cars, but with a unicycle.
It's like Cars, but with toys.
It's like Cars, but with snowglobes.
It's like Cars, but with clouds.


Last edited by VisitorfromArea51 : 01 January 2013 at 12:44 PM.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #17
Watched it the other day and was pleasantly surprised. The animation is as usual over-acted but there's lots of wonderful details to look at and I'm pleased the style is a little more unique than stuff in the past.

-Rich
__________________
Richard Rosenman
Director & Supervisor
www.cgplugins.com
www.cgsphere.com
www.hatchstudios.com
www.richardrosenman.com
 
Old 01 January 2013   #18
Hey, this reminds me a lot of a Disney short where two hats fall in love and try to follow each other... after an adventure chasing each other, they end up side by side on the heads of two horses that drive a carriage, I think.
__________________
O thou sculptor, painter, poet!
Take this lesson to thy heart:
That is best which lieth nearest;
Shape from that thy work of art.
-Longfellow
 
Old 01 January 2013   #19
Originally Posted by AJ: The level of cynicism for a 10 second clip is pretty staggering. Personally, I think it looks interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing the final film.


You're right. It will probably be a treacly sweet story about investment bankers on their way to work from their chauffeured cars in lower Manhattan. The umbrellas of the two bankers, one in commodities and the other in collateralized real estate futures, meet in a crowded street of fellow bankers who are being temporarily kept out of their downtown highrise by a bomb scare. Soon they are let in the building, their owners anxious to start their daily task of disposing of the middle class, and are tossed into an umbrella bucket at the door in the usual orgy of nylon, aluminum and tepid rainwater.

They don't know how much more of this they can take until one day, the rain inexplicably stops, and their owners forget about them and leave them to their own devices in the building's entryway overnight. But their romance is cut short when, during a daring musical number where they have taken flight upon the gusts of air conditioning, they set off the building's motion alarms and are immediately shot by security guards. As they lay heaped upon the Italian marble floor, their rip-stop nylon defenseless against the full metal casings of over-eager rent-a-cops, they know they will never again protect their masters from the blight of rainwater dripping upon their $150 gelled haircuts.
__________________
www.artbot.com

 
Old 01 January 2013   #20
Originally Posted by Artbot: You're right. It will probably be a treacly sweet story about investment bankers...


I enjoyed reading that more than watching the clip.
__________________
-- LinkedIn Profile --
-- Blog --
-- Portfolio --
 
Old 01 January 2013   #21
Originally Posted by Artbot: You're right. It will probably be a treacly sweet story about investment bankers...


How about an spoiler alert?
__________________
http://www.bobtronic.com
 
Old 01 January 2013   #22
Originally Posted by halfPintMike: Hey, this reminds me a lot of a Disney short where two hats fall in love and try to follow each other... after an adventure chasing each other, they end up side by side on the heads of two horses that drive a carriage, I think.


BTW in case anyone was looking for this for comparison, a few versions on youtube of varying quality -


This is the most compressed but otherwise most correct:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFcrjihu2hg

This cuts off some image margins but is much less compressed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkFbfRRquzA


Just as Cars' DNA came from "Susie the Little Blue Coupe" and "One Cab's Family" etc. you can't argue they're not borrowing / paying homage to this short with these two umbrellas.

Now, whether they do something unpredictable with it, remains to be seen. Anything's possible.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Artbot: You're right. It will probably be a treacly sweet story about investment bankers on their way to work from their chauffeured cars in lower Manhattan. The umbrellas of the two bankers, one in commodities and the other in collateralized real estate futures, meet in a crowded street of fellow bankers who are being temporarily kept out of their downtown highrise by a bomb scare. Soon they are let in the building, their owners anxious to start their daily task of disposing of the middle class, and are tossed into an umbrella bucket at the door in the usual orgy of nylon, aluminum and tepid rainwater.

They don't know how much more of this they can take until one day, the rain inexplicably stops, and their owners forget about them and leave them to their own devices in the building's entryway overnight. But their romance is cut short when, during a daring musical number where they have taken flight upon the gusts of air conditioning, they set off the building's motion alarms and are immediately shot by security guards. As they lay heaped upon the Italian marble floor, their rip-stop nylon defenseless against the full metal casings of over-eager rent-a-cops, they know they will never again protect their masters from the blight of rainwater dripping upon their $150 gelled haircuts.



Shoot, sounds like someone at the studio is leaking stuff to the public again...
 
Old 01 January 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Artbot: You're right. It will probably be a treacly sweet story about investment bankers on their way to work from their chauffeured cars in lower Manhattan. The umbrellas of the two bankers, one in commodities and the other in collateralized real estate futures, meet in a crowded street of fellow bankers who are being temporarily kept out of their downtown highrise by a bomb scare. Soon they are let in the building, their owners anxious to start their daily task of disposing of the middle class, and are tossed into an umbrella bucket at the door in the usual orgy of nylon, aluminum and tepid rainwater.

They don't know how much more of this they can take until one day, the rain inexplicably stops, and their owners forget about them and leave them to their own devices in the building's entryway overnight. But their romance is cut short when, during a daring musical number where they have taken flight upon the gusts of air conditioning, they set off the building's motion alarms and are immediately shot by security guards. As they lay heaped upon the Italian marble floor, their rip-stop nylon defenseless against the full metal casings of over-eager rent-a-cops, they know they will never again protect their masters from the blight of rainwater dripping upon their $150 gelled haircuts.


BRAVO! BRAVOOOOO! MAGNIFICO!
MORE! MOOOOORE!
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 01 January 2013   #25
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.