V-Ray 1.8 Demos ( C4D )

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #16
As a prospective customer, I won't buy 2.0 if there isn't a detailed (local) help system like C4D has, X-Particles and other apps. That's a basic requirement for anything I purchase.

If I have to go to third parties and informal collections of "tips and tutorials"... I stay away. That stuff is OK to augment the official help system (for any app or plugin), but not sufficient on its own. At the very least, I've never encountered an app where the 3rd party tutorials were so detailed and well-organized, that I didn't need the official help system installed.

Old 12 December 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Blinny: As a prospective customer, I won't buy 2.0 if there isn't a detailed (local) help system like C4D has, X-Particles and other apps. That's a basic requirement for anything I purchase.

that's not the case with vray , even the other vray plugins don't have such feature and users have to go though the help pages provided by Chaos Group

right now i would be happy with just a documentation to be honest ( C4D local or not ) , and its coming as far as i know ,

the new Standalone shaders are not documented yet by Chaos Group, so there is that too

Old 12 December 2013   #18
Originally Posted by c-legend: that's not the case with vray , even the other vray plugins don't have such feature and users have to go though the help pages provided by Chaos Group

right now i would be happy with just a documentation to be honest ( C4D local or not ) , and its coming as far as i know ,

the new Standalone shaders are not documented yet by Chaos Group, so there is that too

Not sure I follow you. What do you mean by "Help Pages"? If you mean that Chaos or the VR4C4D people have some form of organized documentation that covers each section of the UI, and the basic purpose of each setting, that would qualify as "documentation" in my book. At least in a basic form.

If on the other hand there's only a "quick start" type page and then from there you have to rely on outside parties to "fill in the gaps", that would be a concern for someone like me. Renderers are, IMO, highly technical compared to other features (including some understanding of physics and light properties), and so a thorough understanding of what each feature does (even though that may be different than "how to use it best") is essential. It's also the single most important feature (after all, all the modeling and texturing capabilities in the world don't matter if you can't produce an accurate rendering in a reasonable amount of time).

Hopefully that's part of the plan for 2.0, if it's not there now. I should get over there and register for their site / forums and see what's up. I meant to do that last couple months but never go around to it.

Old 12 December 2013   #19
There is an online manual that covers most of the toolset - but it doesn't contain any content for 1.8 (as of yet).
http://vrayc4d.com/manuals/booktree

Old 12 December 2013   #20
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: There is an online manual that covers most of the toolset - but it doesn't contain any content for 1.8 (as of yet).
http://vrayc4d.com/manuals/booktree

Thanks for the link, Luke. That looks like something approximate to what I was talking about. Hopefully it's in the plans for 2.0 release to update for that version.

Old 12 December 2013   #21
Blinny,

there is the html documentation that is the same as the one from chaosgroup, it is atm updated with the latest features from 2.4 core, i hope our team has finished it these days. it then covers all features detailed. until then the videos, written help pages and example files for new 1.8 features are available to learn the new things, they are in the user area cover all most all of the new features.

i think in total we have quite some info, even more if you count in our official tutorial section which has a lot of inside info on vray usage, that you wont find any else all together at once place.
of course it can get better, so there come more tutorials,videos, example files etc and infos coming. we also evaluated the possibility of an in line html help system.

best regards
Stefan
http://rhino.io

Old 12 December 2013   #22
Frankly, we are tired of searching instead of simply reading from A to Z... we loose too much time looking for documentation with Vray. I love vrayforc4d but the forum and the old manual do not do the trick anymore! As promising as v1.8 looks - I'll wait until its really stable and documented.

Old 12 December 2013   #23
Originally Posted by lllab: ... i think in total we have quite some info, even more if you count in our official tutorial section which has a lot of inside info on vray usage, that you wont find any else all together at once place.
of course it can get better, so there come more tutorials,videos, example files etc and infos coming. we also evaluated the possibility of an in line html help system.

best regards
Stefan

Thanks Stefan.

If I understand you and everyone else correctly, it sounds like your documentation is (at least partially) one version behind (for 1.8).

Your last point is what's important though: while it's good to have professionals donate their time to provide various tutorials and examples to augment your documentation, your product is aimed at professional users and should ship with a full set of html documentation (with each release).

I understand that you probably don't have a large staff and documentation takes time, but having an authoritative online help system (html + locally installed is best but online like Adobe does it would be OK too), is a must. I am new around here and so my opinion is not as important as long-time users, but my advice as a potential customer... a freelancer who will spend probably $1000+ on your software in 2014 (not a small price)... is to put a high priority on providing a complete online help reference, as part of the 2.0 install.

If i were well-versed, I would offer my services as a technical writer / editor (maybe for version 3 in a couple years) but however it happens, I think that html help system would be an invaluable resource for people.

Old 12 December 2013   #24

the Manual is here , looks well too , merry christmas everyone .

http://www.vrayc4d.com/manual/vrayf...manual/overview

Old 12 December 2013   #25
Originally Posted by c-legend:
the Manual is here , looks well too , merry christmas everyone .

http://www.vrayc4d.com/manual/vrayf...manual/overview

Thanks c-legend. Looks promising after a quick 5 minute walk-through of some sections.

Happy Holidays to everyone and to the V-Ray for C4D team. Psyched to try your product out in the new year / learn some new techniques.

Old 12 December 2013   #26
Hey, nice and useful vids, thanks Josef (y) (your english is perfect to me afaic ^^)
And the new documentation. Lot more to play with thanks guys !

Old 12 December 2013   #27
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread