Upgrade cpu/mobo for Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Upgrade cpu/mobo for Maya

My desktop cpu/ mobo has failed and need to replace! Suggestions? Would like to spend < $1K USD...

I want your thoughts as I want to optimize rendering/animation for Maya 2010 64bit.

I'm looking at getting:
i7 4770k
Asus Sabertooth x79 mobo

What I HAVE:
Geforce 460, do you think it will bottleneck?
650W Power supply

Also I'm dumb when it comes to cores/ sockets. I understand Maya can batch render with hyperthreading, but I want speed--so should I look at an AMD 6 core cpu?

I heard Xeons kick arse too, should I consider? I do a little AE work as well.

Thanks.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Stick with your first choice. The AMD wont be faster and youd only get a very low end dual core machine.

Just check your ram is compatible with the new board or youll need to factor than into your purchase too.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
First of all the i7 4770k uses socket LGA 1150 and the Asus Sabertooth x79 uses LGA 2011. So you can't plug that CPU into that motherboard.

If you want a i7 4770k cpu then you need a Z87 motherboard.

For Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboard you will need a i7 3820 or i7 3930k. However recently a newer CPU for the LGA 2011 socket has come out, that's the i7 4820k or i7 4930k. You can still use the Asus Sabertooth (it has been bios patched to be compatible with the new CPU) for the new CPU, but newer boards are available with more SATA 3 ports and able to support higher RAM speeds like the Asus X79 Deluxe and the Asus P9X79E-WS(designed for the new CPU). I believe Asus is to bring out another new board for socket 2011, that's the Rampage IV Black Edition but I don't know when it'll be available to buy.

Intel CPUs out perform AMD even if they have more cores. Xeons perform at their best in dual CPU configs.

Last edited by Darkherow : 10 October 2013 at 09:02 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Again, thank you gentlemen for the tips.

I am leaning toward a quad core i7 4820K 3.7GHz LGA2011

Secured to an ASUS Sabertooth x79 TUF Mobo Socket R(LGA2011) - this offers 1866MHz DDR3, 8 slots that can give me 64Gigs of memory! How on earth can I use all that?!

I plan on buying 2x8GB 1600MHz of Kingston Memory. So if you know something I don't, I think Mental Ray should fly. (However I'm not using MR standalone). So hoping this will do something.

BTW I am looking at a Thermaltake 120mm Universal fitting Cooler. (T925-3046)

Old 10 October 2013   #5
compositing or working with heavy maya scenes can easily eat up 64 gigs memory!

The other day I was working on a high-poly maya scene (think it was around 140 million unique polys) that required 38 gigs on linux to render.

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Hmmm. My scenes were and are VERY heavy - before had to split them into layers. I had 6 gigs back then. So apparently, running a quad and investing in more memory will help this...

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread